What should i do?????

IDLE

OSNN Senior Addict
ok, i just bought an Asus K8V mobo off of newegg.com. come to find out the damn thing is bad. i was talking to a friend and he said that asus isnt a good board.

the problem with the mobo is that the large power supply tat connects to the mobo needs to be wiggled to fire up my machine. ive tried to known good power supplies with the same result.

my question is what motherboard should i look into? i want to stay less than $100.

any help would be great thanks guys!
IDLE

i guess you are going to need the specs?

i bought an amd 64bit athlon 754 socket with PC3200 ram 512mb and need an agp slot 8x.

rma it and get a new one, and asus is a very good brand, ur friend is wrong

Yeah go with what Mafia said. They should be pretty good about it since u just bought it and all.

so you are RMAing? They may insist on sending you another ASUS you know! Or maybe you already have clearance to change brand....

Anyway here's my tip for what it is worth given you are stuck on the 754 socket....
Either MSI K8N Neo Platinum or Albatron K8X800 ProII - both of which should be a step up from your ASUS

Lo Mainframeguy ;)
MSI be good stuff. You ASUS just sounds like poor soldering for a loose connection.

The best K8 AMD board at the moment in terms of features, value for money and overclocking ability and general tech rating appears to be Abit AV8 3rd eye.

The best currently available mainboard for 939 amd64 is MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum.

VIA based boards have huge hardware compatibility issues as they have had since I had a VIA VX Pro 2 board back in the day.

just and update. i didnt give up on the situation and i did some serious brain storming on this and come to find out that 2 things were bad:

the first thing i tried was a different power cable which made a huge differnce and everything was working good. i started to install the oS in the setup mode. i thought everything was all good but then all of a sudden the power cut out. Power supply pooped on me. called a friend that one a known good PS and all is good after that. only parts that were replace was power supply and cable.

mobo is working great with no problems!

Glad u figured everything out...wonder why the power cable before didnt work.

I guess any component can go wrong - maybe the power cable was made incorrectly in terms of the right wires going through the cable. The power supply appeared to have a problem as well.

The odder thing is how did it slip through QA testing?

Dublex said:
I guess any component can go wrong - maybe the power cable was made incorrectly in terms of the right wires going through the cable. The power supply appeared to have a problem as well.

The odder thing is how did it slip through QA testing?

power supply was acting very weird at times. not working, then working fine.

at one point i had the OS half way installed and then power supply shut off completely. the motherboard was geting power but wasnt powering the pc on. i tried another PS and viola! everything started working again. tried the cable on the new PS and no power. first cable i had before in my experience.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back