What should I do now ??

dreamworks

--== babyface ==--
Was kinda bored and went into the bios when I start the PC.

Saw this option, allocate IRQ for VGA .. default was like no, so I switched it to yes .. now when the PC starts, the picture gets super distorted.

Tried resetting the bios by pulling out the battery and the power cable but still no resolution.

Any idea please?

couldnt u just go back and switch it back to no

yeah - I cannot belive a CMOS reset did not fix that, so maybe it did not work (there can be latent capacitance in the mobo that has to be shorted out to effect a proper CMOS reset, so removing the battery may not be enough alone - unless you leave it out a LOOooong time).

Another possible way would be to look for latest BIOS and flash it - so long as you can read screen to do that happily. Never any harm in having the most up to date BIOS :)

you need to remove the batter and cable for at least 10seconds, you set you graphics card to function on interrupt request so it's gonna have to take permition from the computer to show you screen that's like a stupid thing to do and you can't flash the bios because you cant see what's on the screen, you can contact the mobo manufacturer ask them what to do, but before try removing the batter and cable for at least 10 seconds again, if you cant see anything still but you hear a beep from the computer that means that the bios is not setup so press F2 to load default settings might work

dreamworks said:
allocate IRQ for VGA .. default was like no
When enabled, an IRQ is assigned to the graphics card.

When disabled, the graphics card will not be assigned an IRQ.

While there are some exceptions, most graphics cards require an IRQ to work properly so I can not see why setting to YES would mess anything up or why it had been set to NO in the first place.

I have no idea .. that was what I thought so to be. The display is fine before this, but just because I changed the setting in the BIOS, now the display is totally screwed!! : )

I'll try to do the F2 thingy as you suggested FishBoy. Thanks.

well i get the F2 on my mobo (asus) after i remove the batter and power cable maybe it's the same on yours. but i dont think the computer usually boots if the vga fails but i dont think it has failed in your situation the settings have been played with

most cards dont actually need and IRQ as this hinders their operation.

All an IRQ is is a measn for the hardware to interrupt the current cpu task to ask for something. However with AGP and now PCI-Express, most video cards can communicate with the DMA controller direct and fetch the data needed once the cpu sends address space to them.

Leave the IRQ assignto VGA disabled and dont turn it on. ever. for any reason. period.

LordOfLA said:
most cards dont actually need and IRQ as this hinders their operation.

All an IRQ is is a measn for the hardware to interrupt the current cpu task to ask for something. However with AGP and now PCI-Express, most video cards can communicate with the DMA controller direct and fetch the data needed once the cpu sends address space to them.

Leave the IRQ assignto VGA disabled and dont turn it on. ever. for any reason. period.

and some graphics card have their own processing unit (graphic processing unit (GPU))

FishBoy said:
and some graphics card have their own processing unit (graphic processing unit (GPU))
They all do. And so? They still need to talk to the rest of the computer.

Besides, afaik, the GPU isn't really a processor as such, not like a CPU. It's more like a big a$$ programmable filter in the sense that it can't run programs. Afaik.

if it processes data then it's a processor, the graphics card processes data to produce better quality graphics without having to take out computer processor resources and time

FishBoy said:
if it processes data then it's a processor, the graphics card processes data to produce better quality graphics without having to take out computer processor resources and time
Then you could call anything a processor. You can make an FPGA do a simulation of "life" (you know the pixel pattern thingy) (and I have), which would count as producing graphics, but that still doesn't make it a processor. So no, just because a chip processes data doesn't make it a processor in the technical sense of the word.

At least that's what we've been told in all our computer technology course here at the university. ;)

I think we're way off topic here btw. I don't see how turning the IRQ assignment would screw up the display... You didn't change anything else? Drivers?

Indeed .. it turns out to be the graphic card faulty.

Somehow it happened just after I changed the setting on the bios. Sigh .. Thanks a lot for your help guys.

HMMMmmm any chance your change caused the fault? Like overheated it? :eek:

nah, software cant damage hardware :) even you should know that :D

and yes Iknow this is an old thread I jsut remembered it was here when checking on my reputation points that I seem to have a quried mroe of :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back