What PSU whould you recommend

M

Mecham

Hello,

I've been away for a well deserved vacation, and just got back to the UK and turned my PC on for the first time and the M/B went which was gutting but she was getting on a little. My machine would have been five years old this year, not sure which month it would have been but, now she's joined the rest of the old computers down the tip.

good news though, it give me a good excuse for an upgrade, you know what women are like, you spend more money on your PC than me... Yeah... but I love my rol playing games. OK back to the question, I have always used Enermax Power Supplies, will not use anything else because I have been using these for probably 8 years now and have never once had a problem with them. So the burning question is which PSU would you recommend running the following spec...?

I have set a budget of a £1000.00 and 200 for reserve just in case.

I have decided on a few things although, I am still undecided if I will be SLI the cards at a later date.

Chassis: CoolerMaster Mystique 632 4x120mm fans 2 at the front and 2 at the rear
PSU: Enermax EGA850EWL 850W Galaxy Modular PSU
M/B: On the lookout for an SLI motherboard because GIGABYTE do not support SLI for some reason which is very disappointing,
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, Socket 775, 2.4 GHz, 1066MHz FSB, Conroe Core, 4MB Cache, Retail
RAM: 2GB (2x1GB) CorsairTwinX XMS2 Dominator,DDR2 PC2-6400,240 Pins, NonECC Unbuffered, CAS 4-4-4-12, EPP
GFX:Asus 640Mb nVidia Geforce 8800 GTS PCI-Express VGA Card @ £276.00 I cannot fault the price, DX10 and Vista compatible... I might even wait for series 9 to come out and wait for the 768mb cards to drop in price...? :)

Last edited:
GFX: 8800 GTS, 640 MB version. If this is too pricey I would recommend waiting a few more weeks until the new 8xxx midrange cards come out. Some of those are much cheaper and have decent spec's. Since you do mostly role playing a mid range card should work fine. Problem is there are no DX10 midrange cards right now and if you keep your PC for 5 years DX10 is a must have.

PSU: I'd go for the 620 Liberty unless you plan on going to a top end dual SLI video card setup. Then I'd do the 1000 Galaxy.

Since you live in the uk I'd recommend you look at the Tagan range at overclockers.co.uk.

Thank you for your feedback, after careful consideration I have decided on moving back to nvidia and I will be SLI cards together. Therefore I will need at least 850w PSU because I believe SLI eats up the power slightly. The Enermax Galaxy 850w comes with all the cables I am going to need. I might even push for a 1000w, but I believe this is not needed unless I was going some serious graphical work using Mya then I would get a 1000W.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back