• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What program to use to encode dvd to divx/xvid

hansrijf

sh! it stinks
I own a couple of dvd's of the tv show ALF that I want to convert to divx/xvid. I have been thumbling around with virtualdub but can't get a satisfying result. The converted movie is blurrie, yellow and I see "stripes" when people move fast (artefacts?)

Can anyone recommend a good (simple) freeware tool to encode into divx/xvid (which is better anyway?) and what settings to use? We have the PAL tv-system here in NL, but I have noticed that when I convert the NTSC dvd to PAL the picture stutters... My tv handles NTSC quite well, as does my dvd player.

O, just one more thing: I do not want to recode the entire dvd, just a few VOB files. So the program must be able to recode individual VOB files.

Thanks.

Last edited:

epk

Political User
check www.videohelp.com... it's a great site for video conversions, rip, etc, and has a tool (software) index

your problem with vdub seems weird... are u using the lastest stable version of the program/codec?

as for the program recoding only certain clips of the dvd, you should rip them first (dvd decripter is good and free) and then choose the ones you want to re-encode
oh, and you shouldn't have any issues changing ntsc to pal (still, if your tv supports ntsc you should leave the videos that way)

Last edited:

hansrijf

sh! it stinks
Thanks for the answers so far. Yes I use the latest stable build of vdub (as far as I know, think it's 1.5.2).

I will check the sites!

vertigo

OSNN Senior Addict
the easiest program is probably autogk.

regarding the artefacts, seems like the video is interlaced. you will need to deinterlace before encoding, which is something autogk can do

divx/xvid (which is better anyway?)
xvid

hansrijf

sh! it stinks
Thanks. Downloaded and installed autogk, running a conversion to xvid right now but can't find the deinterlace option...
oeps, after I RTFM I found the secret combination....

Autogk really made the best XVID's so far. Even the artefacts (?) are gone, real smooth picture.

This

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loxioalix