What OS for my server

canadian_divx

Canadian_divx
now that all hardware is set up i am thinking about the proper OS. i was working with gentoo but it keeps dieing. i am trying Fedora now. but does anyone else have any ideas, and please no windows there network traffic controle is way to slow for a good server os on 100mb. i am looking towards linux or unix or some others.

anyone have any ideas

Is there a tutorial/guide on how to set up a (home) server?
I've seen Win2k3 load up, and it presents you with various setup options at the beginning. And would like to read in more details about the various types of server it offers for the system.

hmmm i never thought about that, now the other question would be would free bsd have the driver support for my sil image ide cards??? and also is there a graphical installer, i dont want to do command line anymore

Hmm, you don't want windows or a command line, you're at a loss then. I don't see why a graphical installer is easier than a Ncurses based installer, same thing, just not as pretty.

As far as Si IDE cards, I have a SiI680 and it is picked up automatically.

hmm ok
then i guess i will hvae to donwload free BSD anyone know any extreamly fast servers???

j79zlr said:
Hmm, you don't want windows or a command line, you're at a loss then. I don't see why a graphical installer is easier than a Ncurses based installer, same thing, just not as pretty.

He's only out of luck if he wants to run his brand spankin' new OS on the hardware he has just finished setting up. He could have gone w/ OS-X Server from the beginning :)

ignipotentis said:
He's only out of luck if he wants to run his brand spankin' new OS on the hardware he has just finished setting up. He could have gone w/ OS-X Server from the beginning :)

or he didn't feel like spending $3000 for a computer.

Another vote for FreeBSD unless you have a relatively weird hardware configuration ... then Linux might be your best bet.

Just a small sideline thing, if you want Linux but dont want all the command line stuff etc. Just use Webmin - you can do pretty much everything using it, install packages, control all the services etc etc.
And before anyone goes off over it, yes I do know its a small security hole ;)

yep I heartily recommend FreeBSD
If you have new type hardware then get the 5.2.1 version, but if the parts are fairly oldish, then you can probably use the production version of 4.9, though so far for me 5.x has been solid as a rock for server usage.

Handbook - Installing FreeBSD
Then once you have done that you might want to look at Configuring and compiling a custom kernel and compiling and installing various ports

btw in your installation proceedure if you have about a 4GB harddrive or greater then I would definitely install the ports tree and the kernel sources, though if you forget to do this then you can always use the "cvsup" program to get them after you have installed FreeBSD

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back