What operating system is the most stable?

vote

• Total voters
T

Tiffany

Windows? Linux? Which version? I'm not a gamer.

Thanks in advance.:)

such a broad question, don't think anyone can give an answer to that, it depends on things like your hardware/drivers, software you use and level of expertise.

XP, Vista, OS X, Linux, they are all stable (well maybe excluding some linux distributions), but not for everyone.

My hardware is in my Sig.

I read a lot of bad things about Vista.

Thanks for replying. :)

Your computer is not sufficient enough to run Windows Vista. Assuming you've spent your computer life using Windows then I would stick with it.

As vertigo said, it really depends on not only the hardware, but the drivers you are using and software that you have running in the background (i.e. Norton, pre-installed OEM bloat, etc.).

I'd go with XP, I've used it for nearly 6 year and it's never let me down yet.

Thank you all for replying. :)

When I install something or change a setting on Windows XP, some other setting changes 25% of the time.

I think stability in Windows really started with Windows 2000, and then XP was the greatest steps since it was meant for home and business users (whereas 2000 was more for business).

I've had OS X crash once, maybe twice, in the 3 years I've been using it (on a desktop and laptop). Based on experience I'd have to say that OS X is the most stable.

Note: I added Vista and OS X to make a more complete poll.

I've had OS X crash once, maybe twice, in the 3 years I've been using it (on a desktop and laptop). Based on experience I'd have to say that OS X is the most stable.

Note: I added Vista and OS X to make a more complete poll.

Ive crashed OS X doing some crazy stuff, for example, trying to write to memory I was not allowed to touch :p As a normal user I have had it crash once, when DVD Player locked up, outside of that, never crashed it unless I was doing something weird.

XP Pro is still easier to crash :p

Ive crashed OS X doing some crazy stuff, for example, trying to write to memory I was not allowed to touch :p

Sounds like something you'd try to do. ;)

I don't know how anyone can say Vista is the most stable at this point, but I suppose it should be an option. My main problem with threads like this is that harldy anyone voting has had experience with all of the options, so how can you really say? I've never used a flavor of Linux, so I honestly can't say that it's NOT the most stable OS out there.

I don't know how anyone can say Vista is the most stable at this point, but I suppose it should be an option.
Vista is just as stable as XP was for me. It really depends on the drivers and software you have installed, as is the case with pretty much any OS.

My main problem with threads like this is that harldy anyone voting has had experience with all of the options, so how can you really say?
*Raises hand* :)

I've used XP, Vista, a number of modern Linux distros, FreeBSD, and even Mac OS X (although briefly). Never had any stability or reliability issues with any of them, really. The reason I choose one over the rest for daily use has more to do with other factors.

I voted for the "they're all equally stable" option, by the way. At least that's been my personal experience.

Yeah, you are one of the (very) few. ;)
I agree with you though. A poll like this is going to be pretty skewed based on the demographic, and it's difficult to come up with an objective definition of "stability" anyway. :)

If someone was unhappy with windows, they may go to Linux.

I geuss I should have said how many times have you reformatted your OS or repaired it. Or I should have said how many times has your OS crashed or froze.

It just occurred to me. XP has more users, so it would get more votes.

Thank you all for replying. :)

Ryan, you crazy fool... I didn't even vote because I haven't used Mac OS X (besides a couple of times at a client's site). So don't give me your crap!

Ryan, you crazy fool... I didn't even vote because I haven't used Mac OS X (besides a couple of times at a client's site). So don't give me your crap!

Sorry, I'll remove the part where I specifically referred to you. :p

I remember using Photoshop on a Mac a few months ago. This was my first "OS X" crash experience. Basically, all icons stopped responding, and the friggin Photoshop icon kept on bouncing. Since I didn't know how to do the equivalent of Ctrl + Alt + Del on a Mac, I was sooo frustrated.

P.S. This was once after more than 100 hours of using it.

I remember using Photoshop on a Mac a few months ago. This was my first "OS X" crash experience. Basically, all icons stopped responding, and the friggin Photoshop icon kept on bouncing. Since I didn't know how to do the equivalent of Ctrl + Alt + Del on a Mac, I was sooo frustrated.

P.S. This was once after more than 100 hours of using it.

Sounds like Photoshop froze. There is Force Quit (under the Apple), which is the same thing as ending an application or process in the Task Manager. I remember the first time I used it and the application closed immediately, I was like "yes, that's the way it should work!"

Yeah, you are one of the (very) few. ;)

I am part of that very few! I have ran all kinds of flavors of Linux (Slackware, Ubuntu, SuSe, RedHat, CentOS), Mac OS X, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, OpenSolaris, Windows XP, Windows Vista and many more variations of Windows.

If I had to vote most stable operating system, I would vote FreeBSD since that keeps running for ever and ever, however that would be without a graphical user interface. Most stable and with the most software support would then be Mac OS X.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back