what next...

forcer

OSNN Senior Addict
i'm sure quite a few ppl will have been in the same situation as me, but where 2 go next is what i cant decide...:huh:

i've been one of the fortunate ones and XP has went really good for me since ive had it but now i've decided i dont want it anymore i've been on a computer with ME/2K and they run alot better even though my computers cleaner and faster and i'm putting it down to xp so i want to format and change OS.

should i format and down grade 2 maybe ME or 98.

should i format to win 2000 and stick 2 that.

should i format to win 2000 get my computer all organised and how i want it then wait for win2003(8days) and upgrade my current windows 2 that

should i wait for 2003 and perform all my format/installing stuff then... but its more than a week away and i want to start now!:rolleyes:

first thing's first, get the term "ME" out of your vocabulary...

second, what are you going to be doing on the machine?

games?

office stuff?

need more details to answer this question.

games, web design, programming, graphics, music production i have quite alot of computer type hobbies, and so on

I say you install ME, after that, install all versions of AOL at the same time, then Gator, Xupiter, BDE and all the rest...

Sorry, couldn't resist. Basically, don't ever install ME, choose 2K if you don't want to use XP anymore.

Originally posted by Herkalees
I say you install ME, after that, install all versions of AOL at the same time, then Gator, Xupiter, BDE and all the rest...

Sorry, couldn't resist. Basically, don't ever install ME, choose 2K if you don't want to use XP anymore.

*chuckles madly*

WinME was Microsoft's biggest brain fart ever. If they had only held off for several months, they could have skipped the release entirely.

Originally posted by forcer
games, web design, programming, graphics, music production i have quite alot of computer type hobbies, and so on

Well, for your multiple hobbies, a step left (not down) to Win2K is the better option if you want to change, given what you've listed. It's just as solid as XP, without all the GUI bells and whistles (and a several dozen other tweaked features).

Just out of curiosity: What type of performance issues have you had with XP? Speed, drivers, stability?

just the time takes 2 boot, aint timed but i can leave the room do something else came back a few minutes later abd be lucky if its loaded.

i play online games 2... a friend is using 2k i'm on xp my computer has higher specs but game runs better on his comp than mine even in 1p mode but when i had WINME i didnt get any of these problems so i am putting it down 2 the gui and other crap taking up all my ram.

if you want speed, go with win98se...but 2k is more stable. choose what you like....

as for you other people, microsoft was smart by releasing ME, they sucked more money from nubs for being dumb enough to buy it. more money for them. go micro$haft.

and what win2k3 are you talking about...unless you are talking about w2k3 server, there is no version of windows coming out. and i don't think you want to install a server o/s on a computer you will be using for stuff other than what it was designed for.

if im missing some major release, lemme know

I wonder why it takes your computer so long to boot with XP. One of XP's big features is that it's boot time is supposed to be really short. Have you done any tweaking to your XP?

Hard Drive Size: 40 gig
Hard Drive Speed: dunno
RAM amount: 256
RAM type: SDD i think or whatever its called
Video Card: Geforce
Processor: AMD Athlon 1200Mhz
Audio Card: Some crappy on board SiS
And what settings do you play the game at (and your friend): same settings as computer
Resolution: 1024x768
Color Depth: 32bit

and no i aint really tweaked this install of XP and i am always keeping my computer clean and organised

Start -> Run -> msconfig
Check the Startup tab and see if there's something running on startup that shouldn't be.

Might also want to try out Bootvis.

you mentioned nothing about network... do you have a modem or NIC installed? if you have an NIC installed and no network, that could be massively increasing boot time.

yeh i'm using my NIC card for my broadband connection.

on bootup i would think.. as soon as my computers on its workin

well i have this super super super secret i dont tell anyone ut ill tell you to make a computer go faster there is this super super secret program microsoft put in windows xp as well as bleh me and 2000 its called DEFRAG ..... try that. ROFLMAO

Originally posted by Majin
well i have this super super super secret i dont tell anyone ut ill tell you to make a computer go faster there is this super super secret program microsoft put in windows xp as well as bleh me and 2000 its called DEFRAG ..... try that. ROFLMAO

yeh i almost cracked the rib there:D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back