What laptop to buy?

Helmer

Questions R me
I'm starting a new job in a little over a week, today they informed me that I should find a laptop.

They said in specific: ...has got a Fujitsu Siemens LifeBook E4010 (approx 1800 €) but please look around and see whether you could perhaps find something better/cheaper?

I don't need it for gaming, that's what my home rig is for :laugh:

Anyone have any input or advice? It's been 4 years since I last looked at laptop's so I have no idea what's good and not today.

well one option would be in my opinion the Dell Latitude D505, and if you customise the spec to include... 512MB DDR333, a Modular DVDRW, Integrated Bluetooth, Intel wireless minicard and upgrade the processor to a Intel® Pentium® M 725 (1.6Ghz, 2MB L2 cache, 400Mhz) you would then have a very nice system for around £1,166 (~1,659.00EUR).

Other options would be Sony Viao and possibly just going down the fujitsu line, although i have no experience or recommendations with this line?

Nice specs for that Latitude. They're good business machines. :up:

Well after speaking with a few friends and they both recommended Znote 4200V-Series

Znote 4200V-Series
1.6 GHz Intel® Pentium® M 725 Dothan 2MB Cache 400 FSB
15" SXGA+ TFT (1400x1050)
ATI Radeon mobillity 9700PRO 128MB
512 MB PC3200
Combo DVD/CD-RW
3 x USB 2.0 Porte, 1 x Firewire
60 GB 7200 Omdr 8 MB Cache Hitachi
Parallelport, Lyd ind og udgang
Infrarød port, indbygget SD kortlæser
Intel 802.11g 54Mbit trådløst netværk, 10/100Mbit netværk
TV-Out (S-VHS) ,
Windows XP Home UK
2 Års Garanti inkl. Onsite Service NBD (Next Business Day)
Zepto/Umates Basic Pro Taske Nylon
build in Bluetooth

The specs are in semi-danish, I'm too tired to translate now - Need morning coffee. This one goes for: 1873€ inc VAT

Is that a local Danish company? Can't say I've heard of it before.

I have no opinion on the laptop as I have no idea but, if your company requires you to have a laptop, why aren't they purchasing it for you?

Jewelzz said:
I have no opinion on the laptop as I have no idea but, if your company requires you to have a laptop, why aren't they purchasing it for you?

:goodpost:

Jewelzz said:

Err.. maybe because they want me to pick one? I think that's nicer than just getting whatever they think is useful :)

Helmer said:
Err.. maybe because they want me to pick one? I think that's nicer than just getting whatever they think is useful :)
I agree. Nice that they let you pick what you want and pay for it. ;)

Like I said before, I haven't heard of Znote, but if it's known to be a good, reliable company over in Denmark, it does have some nice specs. If you aren't sure about the reliability though, the Dell that Sean pointed out would be a better tried-and-trusted option (most large companies and universities here in the US tend to use Dell machines).

Well my mate has one and it's pretty nice, Dell's has a tendency to feel a bit cheap - too much plastic-like imo. At my old job we used Dell too, that was companywide policy - Dell has good corporate support too, but I liked the Compaq I had over the Dell that replaced it back in the days :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back