What Is Your View On XP?

SkazzyUK

XP-erience Oldie
Hiya,

Was just wondering to myself, XP seems to be presently the latest o/s still, all companys selling pc's offer xp as a standard now wheter it be home or pro.

Is XP still a new thing to you or you starting to get bored of it? maybe it needs a new look or something.

I just got this idea from looking at my site stats and like 228 of my 380 odd hits being XP and like 40 being win 98 :rolleyes:

So does XP still have the same appeal to youm

I remember when it was first released I wouldn't touch it, I thought 98 was still the best, but now nothing compares in my eyes, but I really can't wait till the next home user / office user o/s gets released!

Skazz

I dont really have an opinion of it, as long as my computer does what I want it to (which can be acheived with 98) I'm happy, XP just happens to be newer and doesn't crash as much as 98.
If it had never been released I'd still be happily using Windows2000 :)

I really like the stability of XP as compared to the 9x OS's and it does everything I want it to do. So in that way, like SpeedY, I'm completely satisfied with it. Awesome job by Microsoft. :)

But I always like to try out new stuff, so I'll vote for the last option. :p

Originally posted by NetRyder
I really like the stability of XP as compared to the 9x OS's and it does everything I want it to do. So in that way, like SpeedY, I'm completely satisfied with it. Awesome job by Microsoft. :)

agree with u ;)

I like it better then 95, 98, and ME. Those constantly gave me BSODs and couldn't work more then 5 hours without freezing. No, actually. My old machine froze every few hours.

Then I purchased my current rig and installed Windows 2000 Pro on it. Worked nicely, but did not run some of my old and favourite games.

Installed XP Pro some time after. I suppose it's a wee bit more stable then 2000 Pro, that used to give me boot up problems because of driver conflict...

XP is nice. Stable, runs most everything I want for it to run, and does what it's supposed to do. However, it's downright boring. After all these versions of windows, there has been no ' redefined " interface. No new way of doing stuff, same ole folders, same old taskbar, you get the drift. Not that I'm complaining about how it works, it's just a bit..old. Nothing else about Windows to learn.

Yeah, nothing is majorly new in windows since Win3.11, all the "new" features are just enhancements of their older counterparts.
The same goes for Mac OS, X is just nicer, as is XP over 9x.
And KDE, and Gnome, and WM .. all of these people just set there mind on their creations and improve upon them, instead of giving brand new features etc.

Would you rather have something thats stable though, or something that looks different and works differently?

Hated XP, I put win95 back on.

jk! (plus my sig gives me away :rolleyes: )

Lol Kr0m u scared me for a sec....

XP daunted me at first mainly because I wos told it was really unstable and doesn't run any games, I was like ok then I wont go there, aynway i went and got it and here I am like a year later lol :p

When you look at a simple program such as calulator or paint, even these have hardly been touched since 95, they haven't even been re-skinned ffs :(:(

Comon Microsoft, could do a better job there! it would take em 10 mins to spice them up :p

Skazz

Originally posted by SPeedY_B
Would you rather have something thats stable though, or something that looks different and works differently?

Really good question. I'm not too sure, the " windows " concept of how a computer OS operates is embedded into me, ever since Windows 3.1. So I can not quite imagine how something else would work completely different as opposed to the windows inferface ( other then a text based OS )

They don't need it tho, as it stands the calculator does what it says on the tin .. it calculates, there's no need to change any aspect of it.

As for paint, its a very simple program because most people just use it for screenshots et al
If Microsoft made it into a fully featured graphics application, then they'd piss off companies like adobe and macromedia, who they don't want to annoy, or ever lose support from.

Well I really love the stability of XP, I always had to fight with 98 and 95 to keep it from crashing. But there are things about XP that get on my nerves. Like the networking features. I am always have problems with my home network, mainly the file and drive sharing between my 2 pc's, as we speak I can't share files across my network. No idea why, and I can't change the sharing properties of my network folders all of a sudden. Aggravating! But I still like XP better than any other OS I have used before.

I would have never bought XP, since I was happy with Windows 98. But Microsoft was kind enough to give me a copy of Windows XP Home Edition (full version, no trial or sump) and now I am using that. At first, I was surprised in how beautiful it looks, but it was slow to me. Upgrading from 128 to 256 MB RAM did the trick for me.
Today, I am happy with it and I notice you can do more stuff simultaniously without getting (much) slower, like Windows 98.

I am quite pleased with XP, its nice, stable, and gives me more ability to customise it to my liking. If tcpa and palladium go ahead though I dont think I am I going to get Longhorn.

plannin on getting a new HDD soon, then I am going to try using FreeBSD as a desktop system

Originally posted by SPeedY_B
I dont really have an opinion of it, as long as my computer does what I want it to (which can be acheived with 98) I'm happy, XP just happens to be newer and doesn't crash as much as 98.
If it had never been released I'd still be happily using Windows2000 :)

same here:p

its better than the 9x's but still its geting on my nerves................argh go to hell micrsoft.

oh and if bill gate is viewing this i want to say hi and maybe we can collaborate. ok? cool!!!!!

Originally posted by prodj88
its better than the 9x's but still its geting on my nerves................argh go to hell micrsoft.

Any particular reasons? ;)

I have had XP Home for a year and 3 months - have never seen a BSOD (knock on wood) and have not had to reformat/reinstall/repair.

However I am not a gamer and do not consider myself a power user.

I think the biggest thing for me was I went from 128 in Win 98 to 512 MB RAM in XP - so it may not be the OS at all that's made the biggest difference for me!

But yes I am happy with XP - and my now over a year old "new computer"!:happy:

I'm satisfied with XP. Like all fine things in life (i.e., caviar) you must develope a taste for it. I can't wait till I can run it with an Intel Prescott!:D

Black caviar...or the nice, protien rich bugs in your sig? :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back