What Is Your View On XP?

love caviar and its nice and cheap too about $4 for a pot, and that is the expensive stuff

maybe I should also mention that my dad works in Baku :p

Over the years I’ve used many operating systems, the best (for it’s era) was concurrent CPM. The best at the moment without doubt is XP (pro or home). The home edition of XP, in my view, was a mistake as some aspects are actually harder to understand than the professional edition especially security issues. XP is also to expensive a product but then it includes free updates and bug fixes. I wonder what would have happened to this product had the Internet not become freely available and cheap?

XP is (post service pack one) far and away the best system for both home and industry use by a long way, however what worries me is what’s coming next as the MS Office suite which I consider indispensable but horrifically expensive for home users should be bundled with the operating system for the same or slightly higher price than XP professional. Well it should at least contain a full version of MS word and Outlook.
:) :)

MS Office Full Retail is one of the most extortionate pieces of software availible.

Some very good different and perspective views, keep 'em coming :)

Skazz

I do and I dont like XP, I like the stability, I dont like the look. Part of me still wants 98se.

I'm using Win2003 Server, part of the Office 2003 beta, using it as a standalone OS, as I really don't know too much about Server management, but I like the more "businesslike" look and feel. It operates almost exactly like xp home as I use it, but it doesn't feel so "cartoony". Other than that I'm in full agreement that xp in it's variations is a heckuva accomplishment. Of course the two things that need fixing are 1) home networking setup and maintenance, and 2) not breaking what works with half-baked "critical updates". Sounds like Longhorn will give us all a learning curve again, with a new file system. I find that I still go back to dos to really get things done, so I'm not so sure that I really want things to change too much.

kip

I don't think its fair that if you want to install xp on another of YOUR OWN computers you have to buy it again....I've already got one so why pray tell can't I use that???......I bought it for god sake :mad:

I agree 110%!! Marge.

If you spend the amount you have to on XP, you should be allowed to install it on as many of your OWN PCs as you like, licenses should be by house or business.. NOT per PC!!!! corporate's can buy site licenses so why can we!!

Very Fair, especially for the student age group because it is hard for them to earn their money and well i spose tho lol just thought, if u got the money for another machine then, well you should have the money for another licence :p

Skazz

Since i havent really been doing much on my computer latly i cant say but i would have to say im still pleased with xp. I havent really had any major problems with it that i didnt make!

My son (who is a student) would also like XP but trundles along with 98. Can’t agree more with the person who said that home licensing should be available for home users. He also uses a PC at his lodgings in Sheffield (England) that also has 98 installed maybe “family licences” should be available.

This could become important during the next few years as broadband access becomes more affordable and hence the home network of say three or four PC’s sharing the connection. It surprises me that Microsoft have not tried or even attempted to provide say a three to five user network and broad band connection in a single package (hardware and software). If they don’t someone else will or will the monolith not look in the “home user” direction?

This would if available convince me to upgrade to a broadband connection and hence be a total slave to the MS beast.

Windows XP Family Edition ... 3-5 user licenses. That would be so cool. :)

I've been on XP since day -200 or so ;) and I'll have to say that this OS has satisfied a lot of my expectations. Stability, performance, eye candy you name it. I even decided to buy a copy! (couldnt resist when i saw it for $50) however I continue to use another version due to...reporting issues.

Not since 95 first came out has MS released a completely new and defining product. Granted there are a few issues, but nobody will ever be completely 100% satisfied no matter what they do. Which is well and good because there will always be room for improvement no matter what.

I look forward to the day when software will be able to optimize, repair and improve itself :) however right now I will remain happy so long as the current version doesnt crash on me and the bugs are worked out ;)

Originally posted by SkazzyUK
if u got the money for another machine then, well you should have the money for another licence :p

Skazz

The point is I can get a brand new pc which is a lot faster and has more space and memory than the one I'm on for £330 with no operating system installed..but if I bought it with xp home already installed the price goes up by quite a lot :huh:

Now if I could put my own copy of XP on it I could afford to buy it , but cause I can't do that I can't afford it
:(

I think its much more stable than all previous O/S's from microsoft - but one thing is still lacking.

When you press the "Print Screen" key and take a screenshot, why cant they have a "Paste as JPEG" option on the right click menu when in folders or on the desktop. Adding the extra clicks of loading "Paint" (as easy as it is to do) causes confusion when explaining to a computer newbie how to take a screenshot so you can see the error box that appeared when they tried to send a 30Mb TIFF picture file to granny in Australia and was disconnected in mid-send :)

my previous OS was windows ME and i was ALWAYS problems pop up. i'm not as computer savy as most people on here but XP has performed great with no problems so far.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back