What is Winmx??

Engineer

OSNN Addict
I've heard of this file sharing program called Winmx. What exactly does it do? Is it intrusive? Is it another msn messenger type of program? How does it work? Is it safe?

Thanks
Eng

The site www.winmx.com boasts the following statement:

What is WinMX?
WinMX is a FREE file-sharing program like no other. It allows you to connect, download, and share files with MILLIONS of other users through the decentralized WinMX Peer Network. Once WinMX is installed, you'll have access to one of the largest and most diverse networks of shared media files in the world. And unlike many other 'peer to peer' software providers, we respect your privacy and will never sell you out to spyware. When you download WinMX, you're getting WinMX and only WinMX, no bundled spyware, no ads, no B.S

I haven't tried it... anyone fancy giving it a go?

CC

It's been quite a while since I used this app, but it does a pretty decent job, and as far as I remember, no spyware. However, I prefer Kazaa Lite K++ Edition and Shareaza.

KAZZA, NAPSTER, MORPHEUS, WINMX, IMESH, EDONKEY are all file sharing systems that allow people on the internet to post files that others can see and download. There are a couple of drawbacks to getting files this way:

1). It's a federal crime with a fine of up to $150,000 per copyrighted post.

2). Your activity can and is being monitored by hackers hired by the record and movie studios to catch you trading copyrighted works.

3). Many of the files have viruses embedded which will defeat hardware and software firewalls. A good, up to date antivirus program may detect and stop the infection in time if you have it set up properly.

4). Most of the movie files and many music files are now fakes posted by the recording and movie company hackers to choke the file sharing networks.

Really not worth messing with anymore.

PS WinMX sucks compared to Kazaa which is pretty disappointing anymore.

Originally posted by LeeJend
Really not worth messing with anymore.

Pretty sure this is beating a dead horse, but...

1) not all file-sharing activities are illegal
2) you can use these apps effectively and safely if you know what you're doing
3) the technology isn't going away anytime soon

What part of COPYRIGHTED materials in my post did you not understand?

Originally posted by LeeJend
What part of COPYRIGHTED materials in my post did you not understand?

Watch it with the tone there. :rolleyes:

Do you believe that everything shared on a file-sharing network is copyrighted? That's not the case, which supports my point that not all file-sharing activities are illegal.

I appreciate the info. guys thanks alot and lets keep it friendly.

I would not mind getting winmx, but as some of you have posted, I am afraid that all I would be downloading (I am after images of World War II equipment) would be virus and also allowing someone access to my system.

If you download to an A drive (floppy) and scan the floppy could you prevent virus's that way?

thanks
Eng

Is WinMX better than Bittorrent? I generally get files pretty slow on BT, but it always gets what I want.

I've never used BT, so I really can't say for sure.

Engineer, I feel pretty safe so long as I have a firewall and I don't share files. I understand that the purpose of file-sharing is to share files as well as download them, but like you said, I don't want to give people access to my system. I also run spyware, trojan, and virus scans regularly... just to be safe. :)

Kazaa Lite for me only when I really have to (which is rare :)) Winmx 2.16 was a beautiful app - Then three came out and killed the service ...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back