What is the problem ???

Z

ZAnwar

I have got ADSL and an internel ADSL modem. I have connected an RJ45 wire from my PC's network card to the ethernet router ( Linksys BEFSR41 ), but the WAN port lights do not come on !?!

WHY ???

Because I want my brother to use it aswell, if the router thinks there is no modem connected or on, how will my brother get on to the net then ?

Your WAN light should come on when your DSL modem is plugged into the routers WAN port - it doesn't have anything to do with your PC.

Logical questions would be like: Are all 2/4 lights on your DSL modem on?

For the best help on this subject, try the forums of:

www.dslreports.com

(try the Linksys sub-forum: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/equip,16

sure u plugged the cable modem out to the wan port of router and not the uplink or other 4 ports?

Is the cable correct (meaning is it a straight or a cross-over)? You won't need a router since you have an internal modem. Just activate ICS on the modem connection. Try connecting the cable directly to you brother's computer (if it's a cross-over, this will work).

If the ADSL connection comes up in your network connections thing then you can select each of the ADSL and the LAN connection and Bridge them. I am not sure of the degree of security on that though.

I can't bridge it because, I ticked it where it said, Share Connection.

My ADSL modem is internal so, I need to put a RJ-45 connection from my network card to my Router !

No, you don't need a router. Your computer IS your router. ICS is routing software you use to share your connection. All you need is a hub/switch or a cross-over cable.

1. Turn on ICS on the ADSL modem.
2. Connect the other computer (client). Use cross-over or hub you want. Just make sure the lights come on. If they don't the cables are wrong type or faulty.
3. Set the client to obtain IP autmatically.
4. Surf!

But now I have bought a router for about 60 quid, so how can I put that to work ?

Well the only way that I'm aware of to put your router to work is call your ISP and ask for an external ADSL modem. I've read on the same site that JJB6486 listed that u can't use a router with an internal DSL modem. So you have the choice that I listed above or u can see if u can return the router for a refund.

Yes, if the modem is internal a router cannot be used. ICS is your only option (unless the ISP will give you an Ethernet Modem instead)

JJB

ICS is a service. Look in your services and see if it is disabled.

All you need is a crossover RJ-45 cable. Plug on end into one network card and the other end into the other pc's network card.

If you are really set on using the router, then call your ISP and request an external modem. My experience with ADSL is the internal modem sucks and didn't like staying connected.

Ah, **** !!!!!

DAMN !!! I will try to refund my ROUTER then !

i have an external dsl modem plug it to a hub and from it i have few other pcs connected......to be on the internet i just need the modem and hub plug in, i think thats the best choice

yeah, i have already got a hub. Damn, why did I buy a router for then !

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back