What is the most popular screen resolution?

• Thread starter FrenchBerliner
  • Start date
Originally posted by koko
unfortunately, the idiot masses are still using 800x600, so everything looks big and crappy.

i've designed my web site for 1024x768.

at home, i use only 1280x960.

hmm well perhaps not everyone can afford to buy big monitors or has the ability to use a higher res for various reasons..

I would certainly not call them idiot masses koko...

could cause flame wars you know... by degrading a section of the members of this site...

be nice :)

girlfriends pc is 800x600, so is her kid's pc on 14" and 15" respectively

mine is 1280x1024 - ill use 1600x1200 when i need it on a 19" screen

both me mum an dad use 1024x768 on 17" screens

using 1024x768 on 15" TFT in work

and it is true that more people use 800x600 than any other res... remember to include universities and schools - ime, most of them use 800x600 on most of their computers cuz the screens just arent good enough and they cant afford new ones

the "idiot masses" (as u so elequantly put it) dont tend to choose 800x600 by choice, they use it as its the best their monitor can support... not everyone can afford new monitors unless really essential u know??

and for those reasons, i design all websites I work on so they are viewable at 800x600 (some can be viewed at 640x480 resolution also - depends on the design)

people dont tend to realise that the people who are stuck at 800x600 could be the people their site is aimed at... seems silly making pages which arent easily readable without side-to-side scrolling

1024x768 ...any higher and it seems me eyeballs are about to be sucked outta me skull

Originally posted by Burpster
1024x768 ...any higher and it seems me eyeballs are about to be sucked outta me skull

depending on who is doing the sucking that may not be such a bad thing...

Originally posted by Krux
sazar now thats just scary come on! :D

1600x1200, 21"

lol...

you can't deny that SOMEBODY does not have a fetish like that :)

btw... my room-m8 uses his 19 @ 1600x1200 @70hz... its so tiny I think I will need glasses to read it after a while..

on the whole... seems most people who have posted in here are going @ 1024x768 or higher...

I don't normally use the widescreen displays unless I am watching dvd's on a monitor and then I will use widescreen res and play full screen... looks nice... :)

Originally posted by TechSupport
and it is true that more people use 800x600 than any other res... remember to include universities and schools - ime, most of them use 800x600 on most of their computers cuz the screens just arent good enough and they cant afford new ones

the "idiot masses" (as u so elequantly put it) dont tend to choose 800x600 by choice, they use it as its the best their monitor can support... not everyone can afford new monitors unless really essential u know??

I wouldn't make that statement that the only reason for people using 800x600 is because they can't afford a better monitor.
My monitor has the ability to go to 1600 x 1200 but I use 800x600 because its easier on my eyes. Even on my 19inch monitor, any res above that when reading text hurts my eyes.
Of course I am 45 and wear glasses with bifocals if that makes a difference.

There is nothing idiotic in using 800x600. 1024x768 and higher is OK for games and Photoshop etc. , but for text my 15" monitor works best at 800x600.

i got a 17" @ 800*600 @ 60htz. i could push the refresh up to 100htz but i cant b ased as i only really use it for the web + not intense graphix etc:cool:

Originally posted by TechSupport
most of them use 800x600 on most of their computers cuz the screens just arent good enough and they cant afford new ones

my actual statement was "most of them" as u see above. I know some people use 800x600 by preference, but most cases of 800x600 ive seen is due to no other option (bar from 640x480)

while i think on... my nan uses 800x600 not by preference but because of her bifocals :p

Originally posted by Henyman
i got a 17" @ 800*600 @ 60htz. i could push the refresh up to 100htz but i cant b ased as i only really use it for the web + not intense graphix etc:cool:
Push it, push it! I go nuts and get a headache after just a few minutes @ 60 Hz (the monitor @ 60 Hz, not me :p). Never below 75 Hz I say.

17", 1024x768 @ 85 Hz btw. Can't go higher. Crappy screen only has 60 Hz up tp 1280x1024. I want a new screen! :(

my definition of "the idiot masses" is that vast majority of the population who barely know how to turn on their 'puters, let alone realize that are different resolutions on computers (my sister being one of them).

and no, i will not retract my statement...simply because it's true. :p

if i push my H.o.s computer it'll break:p

goes upto 1280x1024 and 100Htz:cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back