What is the best..

P

psx2000

Right now $ aint a situation and I wanted to throw down cash on a serious gaming rig. I got about $4k I want to spend .

What is the best mobo + proccessor and video card out on the market right now to purchase?

Im thinking a P4 3.2c Ghz , not sure on mobo , and a Radeon 9800 pro 256 mb version. Not sure if its faster or better then the new Ge Force card...

Anything I should wait on before buying ( i.e something better coming out in the next month?)

Also is there a such thing as a case thats predone with the water cooling set up?

Thanks for the help.

well go amd its better.

asus a7n8x deluxe -mother board
3200+ amd processor
and yeah the radeon 9800 pro 256mb is the best so far
theres cases with built in sub zero systems forgot the website though

Originally posted by themafia_69
well go amd its better.
What a well thought out and backed up statement :rolleyes:

Originally posted by themafia_69
asus a7n8x deluxe -mother board
3200+ amd processor
and yeah the radeon 9800 pro 256mb is the best so far
theres cases with built in sub zero systems forgot the website

Are you talking about vapochill themafia? http://www.vapochill.com/
If you decide to go the intel route and you're not into overclocking the 3.2C would be a good choice. The Asus P4P800 is one of the best intel motherboards around atm. 9800pro 256mb would be a good choice.

EDIT: added slight detail...

What you described is good. (PS AMD has lost the lead over 18 months ago and is falling further behind. They have chosen to target servers and laptops due to higher profit margins.)

Since you are under the $4k budget look at doing the ATI 9800 PRO AIW (in case you want to watch TV while you surf or edit video.)

Nothing new coming in the next month. Things expected out end of the year:
- 64 bit desktop systems mean new MB's (different pin out)
-There will be a new generation vid card this fall (ATI is due for an update) but 9800 pro is good for at least 2 years.
- RAM speed seems to be going up daily 533 and counting last I checked. But you have to buy sometime.
- DDR II is somewhere in the works, not sure on timing last I heard yields sucked.

You might consider getting a little slower processor 2.6-2.8 gig and in a year buy the 3.2-3.4 for what you saved on it this year.

Definitely go with the 9800 PRO. FX5900 is ok but I do not like the number of Nvidia based cards that I have seen failed.

Make sure you get a dual DDR MB 875 chipset. Buy your RAM in 2 matched sticks or the dual ddr doesn't work on a high performance system.

yup vapochill was one of them, theres another one i think

I went out and got a mobo ... it was

Asus P4: P4C800 "E" DELUXE

It had raid support etc and I heard its one of the best on the market.

Now my next step is getting memory.

I wanted to install either 2 gigs or up to 4 gigs depending on the cost of DDR 400.

Now I am confused how dual channel works.

If i want a dual channel stick of memory say 1 gig , I have to buy 2 chips that are 512?

Whats the best type of memory i should go with if i want results and for benchmarking? Cosairs?

Also wich brand companys ATI RADEON 9800 pro 256mb card should i buy? There is so many different companies out that make them now.

This is where i was thinking of getting the stick of memory.

It said 1 gig but in the description said something about 2 sticks...

Check the url out if anyone can fill me in...

CLICK HERE TO VIEW

Originally posted by psx2000
This is where i was thinking of getting the stick of memory.

It said 1 gig but in the description said something about 2 sticks...

Check the url out if anyone can fill me in...

CLICK HERE TO VIEW
you could buy a dual-channel set of memory, but they're always very expensive and totally not necessary. just make sure you buy two identical sticks of memory (2x512mb for 1gb total) and you'll be fine. the dual-channel sets are for if you want to set the absolute tightest latencies in the bios. but i have pretty good timings on my memory and it's medium-grade pc3200 (not dual-channel labelled).

unless you really got money coming out your ears, then get the dual-channed labelled memory. and yes, a 1gb dual-channel set will consist of two 512mb sticks.

taurus: Thank you for the help!!! I really appreciate it. Now I got a better idea of the whole memory situation. I was curious is that a fair price to pay? If not any recomendations on web sites?

Whats a good brand to go with when buying ATI RADEON 9800 pro 256 mb version? I noticed a lot of manufacturs make them.

Does anyone know if there is a 6 or 8x dvd-r burner any time soon coming out? Or is 4x going to be standard for a while

Thank you everyone for the help and educating me on the whole hardware scene right now, I really appreciate it!!!

taurus: Thank you for the help!!! I really appreciate it. Now I got a better idea of the whole memory situation. I was curious is that a fair price to pay? If not any recomendations on web sites?
well, if you want the best of the best, why not get pc3500, pc3700, or even pc4000?

for that price ($340), you could get two sticks of 512mb pc3700 (466mhz). this will give you much more overclocking headroom or, if you're not going to overclock, will give you low latencies (a good thing) when running at only 400mhz.

make sense?

512mb sticks of pc3700 at newegg.

[edit] looking further, you can get a 1gb dual-channel set of pc4000 for about that price.

GEIL Ultra Series 1GB(2x512MB) PC4000 (500MHz) DDR RAM MODEL# GL1G4000DC - RETAIL: $335 (after $30 instant rebate)

GeIL Golden Dragon Dual DDR 1GB(2x512MB) PC4000(PC-4000) 500MHz Model GD4000-1GDC Retail: $360

i'm trying to find out which is better...

I dont think my mobo supports it. If it did I would definatley go out and buy the best of the best but it only said 400 mhz support.

I dont think my mobo supports it. If it did I would definatley go out and buy the best of the best but it only said 400 mhz support.
read my last post again. if you run pc4000 (500mhz) at pc3200 (400mhz) speed, you can set lower latencies in the bios and get more performance.

but a better idea is to overclock your board 20% to put it at a 1ghz fsb and use dual-channel 500mhz memory. being an 875p chipset, it should do this easily with no problems.

For $4k you could probably get a nice dual Opteron board or something. :) Tyan seems to have a nice one.

Originally posted by taurus
read my last post again. if you run pc4000 (500mhz) at pc3200 (400mhz) speed, you can set lower latencies in the bios and get more performance.

but a better idea is to overclock your board 20% to put it at a 1ghz fsb and use dual-channel 500mhz memory. being an 875p chipset, it should do this easily with no problems.

Ok i catch what your saying, so there is a chance i could OC that board to run higher end memory and worst case i just underclock it if it won take the memory?

I haven't really OC before but if i did what would i have to change?

Sorry if i sound kinda noobish with OC but im just new at it.

Btw where you able to find out wich of the 2 is the better buy?

Originally posted by SkazzyUK
go www.alienware.com (US) or www.alienware.co.uk (UK) won't beat a better system than those, I personally think they are better than most machines people can build themselves

skazz

No company can build a system better that you can build yourself, besides who would want one of those ugly ass alienware cases? and I "Believe"

Besides, if you got 4K to spend, save some of it for upgrades, you can put a top-of-the-line system for about $3000 right now, and a thousand bucks can cover 6-months worth of upgrades. No need to OC a P4 3.2C, and also no need to have more than a gig of RAM.

If I had all the money in the world, keep in mind I am Intel biased, ASUS for Mobo's, and also Antec biased, but only because they have never failed me, I would get:

Proc -P4 3.2C
Mobo - ASUS P4C800-E
Case - Antec PerfPLUS no PS
Fans - 3 x Antec 80mm fans
Power - Antec TRU550W PS
Video - ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 8x AGP with 256MB DDR
RAM - OCZ Dual Channel Optimized DDR PC-3200 1GB (matched 2x512MB)
HDD - 2x WD Raptor 36GB SATA 10,000RPM
DVDRW - LiteOn DVD-Dual/ CD ReWritable Drive MODEL LDW-400D
CDROM - ASUS CD-S520 52X CD-ROM
Speakers - Klipsch Promedia GMX D-5.1
Monitor - Samsung DynaFlat 955DF 19"

That comes in under $2800 at newegg, best PC on the block I bet.

Originally posted by j79zlr

Proc -P4 3.2C
Mobo - ASUS P4C800-E
Case - Antec PerfPLUS no PS
Fans - 3 x Antec 80mm fans
Power - Antec TRU550W PS
Video - ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 8x AGP with 256MB DDR
RAM - OCZ Dual Channel Optimized DDR PC-3200 1GB (matched 2x512MB)
HDD - 2x WD Raptor 36GB SATA 10,000RPM
DVDRW - LiteOn DVD-Dual/ CD ReWritable Drive MODEL LDW-400D
CDROM - ASUS CD-S520 52X CD-ROM
Speakers - Klipsch Promedia GMX D-5.1
Monitor - Samsung DynaFlat 955DF 19"

Ok i agree with most thigns but a few questions on your decision..

I got the same mobo u picked out, I bought it last night but .... here is where i question things.

Fans: Why not just water cool your computer with a external EXOS kit?

RAM: mentioend above he said going with 500 mhz memory etc, why did you choose what you choose?

HD; I was thinking of getting 1 for my C drive and another for my D drive just for games. then 2 fat Maxtor 200 gig drives for my storage etc.

Case: Any reason for this case and the the thermal take 3?

Power Supply: Any reason you choose this power supply?

Monitor: I got a Sony 21 inch wich support 2000x resolution.

DVD-ROM; How come not the 4x sony dvd-r drives?

Fans: Why not just water cool your computer with a external EXOS kit?

Personally I dont trust water cooling, one line gets old, cracks, and fails, well water inside PC = not good

besides Intels run nice and cool, I have a P4 2.53 and it never hits 40°C under full load

RAM: mentioend above he said going with 500 mhz memory etc, why did you choose what you choose?

I choose that because it was the best PC3200 I could find, you could underclock DDR500 and use aggressive timings, but I don't see it as necessary

HD; I was thinking of getting 1 for my C drive and another for my D drive just for games. then 2 fat Maxtor 200 gig drives for my storage etc.

Those are the fastest SATA drives out there, you could keep them and add a huge drive for storage where speed isn't as important, or even use one for your OS and games, and a big slower drive for storage.

Case: Any reason for this case and the the thermal take 3?

Like I said personal preference, I like Antec, some don't

Power Supply: Any reason you choose this power supply?

those Antec TRUE power series PS are great, voltages are always very close to 12V 3.3V 5V

Monitor: I got a Sony 21 inch wich support 2000x resolution.

You don't need a new monitor then

DVD-ROM; How come not the 4x sony dvd-r drives?

Well you wanted the best and that LiteOn igets really good reviews and its a DVD RW

Ok i catch what your saying, so there is a chance i could OC that board to run higher end memory and worst case i just underclock it if it won take the memory?

I haven't really OC before but if i did what would i have to change?

Sorry if i sound kinda noobish with OC but im just new at it.

Btw where you able to find out wich of the 2 is the better buy?
overclocking would be as easy as going into your bios, finding the bus speed (200mhz or 800mhz, same speed just depends on the bios) and increasing it to 250 or 1000.

this is assuming you have 500mhz memory... and your temps aren't too high in the first place.

another thing... you don't have to worry about your board 'not taking' memory that's rated faster than it officially supports. for instance, pc3200 will run fine in a board that only supports pc2100. it will just automatically be underclocked to pc2100 speed. the pc number isn't a type of memory, it's just a speed rating based on how high it can go.

and from those two, i'd get the GeIL Golden Dragon Dual DDR 1GB(2x512MB) PC4000(PC-4000) 500MHz Model GD4000-1GDC Retail. the 'golden dragon' series use brand new WLCSP chip technology which is why they look different from other sticks. you can read about it here.

taurus: thanks for the info i plan to order those sticks tonight. You think there is even a chance the mobo might be able to run those sticks of memory even with out having to OC?

Ok thanks for the tips and explain the OC procedure... btw ,

Do you know if anyone is coming out with a 6x or 8x dvd burner ?
Any time soon?
Also would you water cool this computer?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back