What is the best wireless router?

indyjones

OSNN.net Adventurer
Hi there
What is the best wireless router? I dont want one to be silly money, but one that is suitable for a home network
Also any links for it in the uk would be nice :)

Not really sure about "Best" - is that signal strength you are after? You did not say if you are aiming to be 80211b or g either? In any case, I use the EDIMax brand and am pretty happy with them - then again one of my requirements for the current configuration was the USB wireless dongles that came with this setup - you may not have that in mind.

More information posted back will probably help others refine your choice somewhat.

Cheers
I dont mind having to buy pci wireless cards and really the faster the better I guess I have heard good things about the Linksys routers

Dlink also - and Netgear - these all tend to be slightly premium priced and if the faster the better is your aim you will want to avoid USB I guess and definitely go for 80211g then (again this will bump the price a bit).... But I have to say if you truly want speed above all then CAT5 cable cannot be beaten, presumably you have definite reasons to go wireless though.

Remember with wireless you get loss of speed if signal strength reduces and also from any "packet collisions" caused either by competition within your own wireless system or from any other wireless systems in the neighbourhood (you can reduce the latter by careful channel selection).

Since Edimax were my "budget" choice, that's probably the end of my input ;)

Thanks any way :) This is for a sneaky bit of broadband action at my parents house before I move out in about 8 months time, and my dad has forbidden me to run wires through his house :rolleyes:

I would go for Netgear (not wireless), although I have the problem of the router stalling from time to time and needs to be restarted.
Would have suggested Linksys, but I think there's some security issues with some of their products as suggested by Cisco a few months back.

ming said:
I would go for Netgear (not wireless), although I have the problem of the router stalling from time to time and needs to be restarted.
Would have suggested Linksys, but I think there's some security issues with some of their products as suggested by Cisco a few months back.

eh? it was wireless that I wanted :rolleyes:

I know you wanted wireless... Just saying that I had probs with Netgear routers in general. Think it's to do with overheating/ventilation probs that causes it to stall.

I agree with Rush - mine has a built in modem and it is both neat and practical and secure - you'll be port forwarding with the best of us soon mate ;)

I like the Netgear MR814v2 that I have at home. Smaller form factor than most other wireless routers, gives me full signal strength almost all over the house, and it's UPnP-enabled. :)

NetRyder said:
I like the Netgear MR814v2 that I have at home. Smaller form factor than most other wireless routers, gives me full signal strength almost all over the house, and it's UPnP-enabled. :)
I thought uPnP was not a good thing for computer users for security reasons... or was that an issue that only affected Windows?

NetRyder said:
.. gives me full signal strength almost all over the house, and it's UPnP-enabled. :)

Understand what you mean - aesthetically SMFF can matter A LOT if you have to put it high up in the middle of a room or something! Then again I just wanted to say full signal al over your house can mean anything and nothing - my house is four odd stories and EVERY wall is SOLID brick... plus it has a "front" and "back" side with BRICK walls again - basically I have my WAP at teh front and that gives me half the house (front) - if I need more I have to run CAT for a repeater...

Sorry to go on - but it does depend on the house... :eek:

True, was just stating my own experience with the router in a house with two-floors. Of course that wouldn't say much about how it would work in every house on earth.

D-Link DI-624 might be 624+ for outside the US but 802.11g with speed at 108 instead of 54, have used this and have not had one problem like I have with every linksys router I've configured. They are selling all in one products with dsl or cable modem/router/gateway/wireless gateway in one piece of hardware and they are awesome...and the one that I used oddly enough was the first linksys networking hardware component that I have not had one problem with

Wow cheers guys loads of information for me to digest here.
The idea of having a built in modem seems quite good as most modems seem to be usb only (as in the ones you get free from BT or whoever) so it may make sense.
Thanks again I will be back after looking into your suggestions

rushm001 - I just had a looksee at that product you recommended is it available without the card as I dont have a laptop?

Got a Linksys WRT54G here, first wireless router I've ever owned, works perfectly with my PowerMac (Sporting a Belkin PCI card) and my iBook (With Apple's AirPort card) lots of features, security etc, and best of all it runs an uber-small custom linux distribution which is GPL meaning there are plenty of alternative firmwares to chose from offering more features than the official Linksys one :)

Oh, and it was lovely and cheap too :D Linkery - Linkery2

Cheers Speedy, I remember now that you was alway superb at sniffing out good prices :)
Would I need to buy a modem to use with that model? That is why rushm001's suggest of a combi unit seemed quite a good idea

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back