What is SXS Folder For?

lion7718

OSNN Addict
I installed a Webcab the other day, so I assume this is why I now have this folder. It installed itself on my 2nd Hard Drive..which is kinda wierd......
I did a Google search, and all I could find was that if XP needs this, it will install it...thats it.
I would like a little more info if someone can give it.

I have XP Home, but alot of software sees it as XP Pro.

I have a Logitech Zoom Camera and it installs the same folder, I don't know whether it is remnants of a prerequisite or actually used tho.
Not installed my cam since last time I reformatted.

It's installed by the Logitech software. The SXS folder contains msxmlx.dll files (where x is a number from 1 to 4). It's probably a leftover from the install, since those files should be (I think) in the system32 folder.
This is a way of safely checking if an app needs it in this specific folder:
rightclick the SXS folder and click Properties
Now set the folder properties to 'Hidden' and click OK. Run the logitech software, run the help files (most modern Help files use some sort of XML parsing) and see if there are any errors. If not, it's safe to delete the folder.

lion7718 said:
I installed a Webcab the other day, so I assume this is why I now have this folder. It installed itself on my 2nd Hard Drive..which is kinda wierd......
I did a Google search, and all I could find was that if XP needs this, it will install it...thats it.
I would like a little more info if someone can give it.

I have XP Home, but alot of software sees it as XP Pro.

Did you bother reading the manuals and software infromation packs you got with your web cam?

Lee said:
Did you bother reading the manuals and software infromation packs you got with your web cam?

Yes of course...manual was on how to install camera only...nothing else.

Glaanieboy

This idea seemed to work...help files never worked in the 1st place, so nothing has changed since Hiding the folder....so I guess it's safe to remove.

Thanks to all who helped

lion7718 said:
Yes of course...manual was on how to install camera only...nothing else.

Glaanieboy

This idea seemed to work...help files never worked in the 1st place, so nothing has changed since Hiding the folder....so I guess it's safe to remove.

Thanks to all who helped

I never read the manuals that's why I asked. I learn faster doing trial and error.

Had to put it back...Cam kept popping up a window to install something..after the 3-4 time..I didnwhat it asked & the SXS Folder was back...I guess I have to keep it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back