What is Spyware good for? Trouble?

A

AaronMcarthur

I have some spyware on my computer, just found out. I'm going to get it off today but what is it for? are people spying on me? can they find information about me?

Spyware is a data-mining solution. Its installed to keep track of your habbits. Most likely it is just inserting your information into a mass database of alot of habbits its collecting for the marketing types.

It is howerver an invasion of privacey and should be outlawed but that is another topic. Just remove it, and check periodically for it, or get some nice tight security and your good.

Spy-ware is indeed a pain in the butt. But it also makes alot of programs free. At its best it will "spy" on your surfing habbits in order to present you with (popup) adds that may be of interest to you. Its all about the $$$.

http://www.gator.com/ (don't go there) ;) is one of the big players in this game.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/ has a good "spy-ware" removal program. Mind you, the popular Kazaa has spyware too; The Kazaa Lite version does not contain the spy-ware, but it DOES need a (faked) spy-ware DLL for kazaa to function right.

Simply removing all spy-ware may render an application useless.

Kind regards,
Willem Moolenaar

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back