What is RAID?

G

Gouk

Can someone explain it in non-technical terms and the benefits it has over a non-RAID mobo?

I have two choices for a mobo:

Abit KR7A-133
Abit KR7A-133-RAID

As simply as possible RAID enables the user to utilise 2 (or multiples of 2) as either 1. mirrored, where all data is written to both drives, whereby you have a permanent mirror (if one goes down, you have the other) OR 2. where alternate bytes are written to first one, then the other drive (so effectively increasing read access by up to 50 % (I have forgotten the term for this second method) but this means you have only half of any data on one HD at any one time.

1st method is for where you want peace of mind, 2nd method gives you a little more speed.

Clear as mud?? perhaps somebody else can explain it better.

TOK

Yes, gothic is correct.
A little more non-technical.
#1) 2 drives, same information. (good backup)
#2) Take a sandwich(information), cut it in half, put the pieces on 2 plates. (good speed)

nice analogy there xsiv, if I could find it or if I actually had it on a disk somewhere then I would send you my IT coursework from last year, there I did a very in depth explanation of RAID.

RAID= Redundant Array of Independent (or Inexpensive) Disks

There are the following RAID setups:

RAID 0
RAID 0+1
RAID 1
RAID 2
RAID 3
RAID 4
RAID 5

I will see if I can find the coursework, and I will post the information, just incase anyone else wants to read it. Got an A for it.

Originally posted by Goku

Thx!

I understood that article perfectly. :)
Hehe, I think he's saying he didn't understand you all :D
I'll have to read the article

Originally posted by Jewelzz

Hehe, I think he's saying he didn't understand you all :D
I'll have to read the article

You gonna translate from my piglatin? :p
Azycra Onaadsga :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back