What is QoS Packet Scheduler Exactly?

M

Mike89

I have two computers, one at home, one at work, both with XP Pro installed.

I notice on my home computer that in the Network Connections, there are two options in "This connection uses the following Items".

Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
QoS Packet Scheduler

Now on my work computer I only have one option.

Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

Both computers just set themselves up that way. Why is this?

Both computers have dial up modems (same ISP), home computer - Winmodem (Lucent Winmodem) and work computer - Hardware modem (US Robotics).

So I'm wondering what the QoS Packet Scheduler is for and why one has it and the other doesn't.

Would the Winmodem need it and the US Robitics (hardware) modem not?

I would really like this explained so if anyone knows, please post. Thanks

always wanted to know what this was too, since I tweaked it, to make it reserve no bandwidth, but never figured out what it actually was....:S

Its supposed to reserve bandwidth, but only works on a domain with a QoS enabled server. Its used to control bandwidth usage on huge enterprise networks with large amounts of traffic. It serves no purpose on a small Peer-to-Peer LAN

JJB

Well I don't use a LAN.

Is this useful in my situation? I don't know why one computer set it there and the other one didn't.

Should I just get rid of it on the one computer?

Chances are your systems admin at your work removed QoS as a detterant to people whoring the network bandwidth.

Also to use QoS you generally need a big Cisco router, or some industrial-classed piece of machinery :)

In answer to your question, yes it can be removed from your other computer as it serves no purpose on anything but a big LAN with a series of routers.

I have 512k NTL cable in the UK, since I had it installed it has never been below 750k and when I installed XP for the first time it went up to 1mb. I reformatted and QoS was installed as default as it was a clean install not an upgrade. The speed went down to 750k again. The first thing I do now is to uninstall QoS as it does free around 20% bandwidth.

QoS also only works with applications that are programmed to use it. I also only uses this 20% bandwidth when that application is actually sending or receiving data. Otherwise the full badwidth is available.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back