What is Hernia and how do you get it?

What is hernia and can you specificly tell me what the injury does? will this make the scrotum sag?

Hernia

Odd isn't it, that it's called a Her-nia, instead of a Hisnia, as most cases are male, and why isn't a Histerectomy isn't called a Hersterectomy?

-Wrath

Re: Hernia

Originally posted by Wrathchild
Odd isn't it, that it's called a Her-nia, instead of a Hisnia, as most cases are male, and why isn't a Histerectomy isn't called a Hersterectomy?

-Wrath

Equal rights and Womens Lib and stuff? :huh:

Being someone who just went through 2 surgeries within a month... First being originally to repair bilateral hernias through Laproscopy but instead removing my appendix, and the second the actual repair of the hernias through direct incision. ...Let me just say. You do not ever want to go through this. 3 days of excruciating pain that even Oxycodone couldn't help. Didn't help that with the first surgery that I had an allergic reaction to the Vicodin they had me on, and the Benzoin that they used to "glue" me back together, and the second surgery they used the "glue" again ever after speaking to the surgeon before and listing it as an allergy. It caused the incision area to welt up pretty bad. Then, I had a pretty bad allergic reaction to the Oxycodone. It's been a month and a half and the "rash" from it is finally starting to go away. Do yourself a favor... Don't do anything to cause a hernia. It's not fun.

Wow Un4gIvEn1!! Sh!tty expereince for you, glad to hear you're recovering though :)

When I had my hernia operated on (I lifted too much weight at the gym with my legs, one too many times), they kept me awake while they cut me open. They discovered they couldn't close it, as it was too large of a tear, and simply put some kind of mesh in there to stop my lower intestine from dropping down next to my um... unit.

1 year and a 4 inch long scar later, I can beat up anyone.

??

Well, I have 5 scars. 2 4-5" scars (one on each side) and 3 1" scars across my belly. They put in a mesh as you said Herkalees. I had the rather unpleasant experience of having my lower intestines drop down into my... package. Not fun. Was like walking around with a softball in my pants. My hernia got to the point that they told me that I had to have it taken care of right away because I ran a great risk of dieing. (Bet most people didn't even know you could die from a hernia... well neither did I until they told me.) It's been a month an a half since the surgery and I am still rather sore in the "area." They said it would be about 3 months until it would all go away. Oh, on top of all that. I went to the doctors yesterday and again today, because the incision which had originally healed up really nice... tore open and has started to become infected. Damn, I can't wait until this is all done and over with.

Jewelzz: Thanks

I had a hernia from birth. Supposedly, I was either born with it, or screamed so much for my mommy at the hospital, that it developed right there, too much strain on the baby.

I had surgery when I was 6, damn, that was unpleasant. Don't remember much about it, other then they put me to sleep while carrying out the operation. Afterwards, I couldn't walk/move that area and below, so I confined to a chair and carried around wherever I wanted to be ( not too many places a 6 year old needs to be, just around the house )

More then 8 years passed, and I still have the scar, almost looks fresh, but though out that time, the interior must have fully healed, and it's nothing more then something cosmetic on the outside. I was told by the doctor that when I was older, I would have to make sure I had strong stomach muscles...I make sure every day :blink: :p

Post Scriptum: Reading this thread makes my scar on my tummy tingle, someone tell me why.

i feel kinda pain in my right groin and not my left. so whenever i move my right leg for example like walking, i kinda get this pain in my right groin, it doesnt hurt that much and i'm not sure if it is a hernia cause i left to much weight yesterday. well lets pray its not and tomorow will be better. btw how much is sergery for the hernia?

Originally posted by _DM_
i feel kinda pain in my right groin and not my left. so whenever i move my right leg for example like walking, i kinda get this pain in my right groin, it doesnt hurt that much and i'm not sure if it is a hernia cause i left to much weight yesterday. well lets pray its not and tomorow will be better. btw how much is sergery for the hernia?
Out of curiosity, How old are you?

Let's put it this way... It don't matter how much, you better go an see the Doctor and get examined before your intestines start kissin yer nuts. :eek:

Also... you ever think that maybe you just pulled a groin muscle? :confused:

Ha, first you ask who/how to work out, then you believe you got yourself a hernia.

Personally, if you pulled one on yourself, it would hurt plently.

It can occur in these areas:

herndiag.gif

A hernia is a bulge caused by a weakness in muscles which form the front wall or abdomen. Muscles can be weak from birth or become weak as part of the ageing process. There are natural gaps in the muscles to accomodate blood vessels and other tissue. With a weakening of these muscles, the gaps may become big enough to allow the inner lining of the abdomen to push through. If this happens, a hernia is formed.
Hernias
They can also be caused by pressure on the muscles, for example through heavy lifting, sports activity or coughing. You may develop a hernia through being overweight, or if scars from previous surgery are overstretched. Hernias often occur in the groin area, sometimes on both sides.

Sites where hernias commonly occur:

1. umbilical hernia
2. groin or inguinal hernia
3. femoral hernia

Doctor Nick :p

Next you'll wanna give him a proctology exam. :rolleyes: :p

I really don't want to check him for pelvic area diseases.

I, in a way, do want to be a doctor, a children's doctor specifically, but....I don't believe I'll be able to go through 8 years of medical school.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back