What is dllhost.exe?

R

Red Arrow

The other day I noticed that my computer was running slow and there was a lot of network traffic. There was something running in the background called dllhost.exe which was using up almost all of my CPU power. As soon as I closed it down all network traffic stopped.

What is this program? It seems to start up on its owns all the time.

do you have the lastest windows updates and have you scanned your system for viruses?

I don't have the latest updates due to the fact I live in the Uni halls. 512k connection between 50 rooms sucks, takes ages to download. I ran a virus scan but again the scanner has not been updated in ages due to the slow connection speed.

Its does not really matter anymore. Just got a call from home, my Shuttle case has arrived. So I will be doing a re-install of XP at home where also I can update everything.

Thanks anyway guys.

If you have dllhost.exe and svchost.exe in your windows\system32\wins folder you probably have a virus. We have just finished removing the Nachi virus from the network which put these 2 files into the wins folder.

A suggestion before running the Welchia removal tool... clean out your internet cache (temporary internet files). Doing so will make the scan much quicker since it doesn't have to scan everything in that folder. :)

Also, if you are going to end up doing a new installation anyway, be sure to download the critical updates from Windows Update as soon as you get online. Especially Q824146, because this protects you from Welchia and Blaster.

Another suggestion. Print directory listings showing the file and show them on your computer to someone else and have them sign the listing. Never know when you might want to be able to tell the RIAA that it wasn't your fault...

:)

Originally posted by LeeJend
Another suggestion. Print directory listings showing the file and show them on your computer to someone else and have them sign the listing. Never know when you might want to be able to tell the RIAA that it wasn't your fault...

:)

Hahaha... nice. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back