What is compatible with x64 ??

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political Access
I am going to be buying a amd64 next month. Before I do, I would like know what is compatible with it ??

I don't want to get it then find out I can't use what I use now ..

Check the some of the other threads here in the x64 forum as well as the thread ming pointed to. That's a good starting point.

Bear in mind that even if some software that you really need is incompatible with XP x64 or you're missing drivers for any hardware/peripherals, you can still install the regular 32-bit version of XP on an AMD64 machine.

NetRyder said:
Bear in mind that even if some software that you really need is incompatible with XP x64 or you're missing drivers for any hardware/peripherals, you can still install the regular 32-bit version of XP on an AMD64 machine.

ya, I have plenty of programs that don't run or run badly on 64

I think you really need to dual boot johnny

If that is the case about a x64 then I will make sure to use a x32 OS. Thanx for the info. I figured there was still stuff that didn't run right on it.

I don't like the idea of a dual boot perris, it is a thought though .

Also remember that the only apps that have issues with XP x64 are those that install drivers (antivirus and defrag software etc.), and those that install shell extensions (right-click menu items, toolbars etc.)

Of the apps that I use, the only one I can currently think of that doesn't work is Windows Desktop Search.

I have a few other applications that won't work -

uGuru, SpinterCell3, webcam drivers

But nothing to make me want to switch back :)

Installed xp64 the other day, couldn't see any difference at all from 32-bit version in terms of performance for the OS.
Anyone care to share their thoughts on this? I haven't installed anything on top of the OS so can't say if there's a performance increase for applications.

Electronic Punk said:
Install Farcry x64 then you will see :D
ya...programs that are written to take advantage of 64 bit not adapted to run on it

really, the os will be more stable, but xp doesn't have a problem with stability so you won't see that

mostly, 32 apps adapted for 64 haven't been written to take advantage of the extra registers, they've just been written to run on the os

you won't reall see a differnace unless you launch a program written for 64 bits.

still waiting for drivers for my wireless netgear router ( 834 GT ) so i can go back to the 64 bit windows.

dragonbeat said:
still waiting for drivers for my wireless netgear router ( 834 GT ) so i can go back to the 64 bit windows.
You need drivers for a router? That's odd. Don't you just plug in your machines via ethernet cables?

Netgear DG834GT is ethernet based.... and wirless. In fact all DG models are ethernet.

what would that have to do with anything? wireless or not, a desktop wouldn't need drivers for the router... only one that would need special drivers is if you're using a wireless NIC on a lappy or (who would ever know why) a desktop, but then it'd need the wireless NIC's drivers, not the router.

should of explained myself more clearly in my last reply,the router works great as does the adapter (WG111T)on windows xp but once i install the x64 OS nothing works on the router or adapter.the main part of this apology is i forgot to explain that the router is used from the point of entery to my home and the adapter to pick up the signal to my pc .this saves a lot from having to look at some unsitely cables running from a to b.:)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back