What is a MP4 File?

N

Not Bman

This is very simple, just I have never delt with it.

Is mp4 a video file?

Re: mp4?

.mp4 does not mean it's a video file however.
You can have just audio in .mp4.

I convert all my music with foobar2000/AAC with the .mp4 extension.

But most of the time, say if your downloading something an mp4 file is most likely video yes.

Most likely.

MPEG4 is a standard used heavily for video (like DVD rips) on the web.

MP4s are mostly video that can be loaded onto PSP and mobile phones to view. Most mobile phones use the 3gp file format but many can read the mp4 format as is without conversion. My LG VX9800 has 7 episodes of the Simpsons and the "Still Seeing Breen" music video on it in mp4 format.

Files in .m4a format are actually the audio layer of (non-video) MPEG 4.

m4a is more common place for Audio files.

Heh, ya beat me to it. (Got stuck watchin some Football highlights, American Football. :p)

[edit]
FYI:
You can normally safely rename the file extension of an .mp4 file containing only audio to .m4a or vice versa to get the file to properly play in your favorite audio player.

Also there are "protected" m4a files.
When these files have digital rights management (DRM) restrictions applied to them, their extension are often changed to .m4p, the p standing for protected. Music files purchased from the iTunes Music Store, for example, have this extension.

http://wiki.videolan.org/index.php/.m4a

More info on mp4 file format:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62723

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back