What is a good answer to give to someone when they say..

celticfan11

OSNN Senior Addict
But isnt opening a port on my firewall going to leave me vulnrable now?

they are using a NAT firewall.

Just curious as to what you guys tell noobs who ask this, when you open some ports for programs for them.

Tell them that opening their car door leaves them open to thieves, but they still have a need to get in and out of it.

Then ask them if they REALLY need their web browser to access the internet.

haha
i always say something like. There are 65 thousand ports opening a few wont hurt.

You have a smart car door. It only allows passengers you asked for to get in - er....hopefully.

and anyways why would someone want to hack a noob, and if he was going to get a virus it would get past a NAT in a router anyways.

Not sure what you guys think of this but my friend always tells me that he doesn't care whether someone hacks into his pc or read his emails so long as they don't f-ing muck up his system. :p

canadian_divx said:
and anyways why would someone want to hack a noob, and if he was going to get a virus it would get past a NAT in a router anyways.

Do you think hackers differentiate? :nervous:

lynchknot said:
You have a smart car door. It only allows passengers you asked for to get in - er....hopefully.

Your door is ajar. :p

Opening a port is only dangerous if whatever is listening to that port behind the router is vulnerable.

So opening ports for Windows File Sharing (which isn't really that safe) might bad, but opening a port for a well configured web server should be quite safe. Just as long as you are aware that that application is now exposed to the Internet.

canadian_divx said:
and anyways why would someone want to hack a noob,..
To make the box a spam relay, zombie in a DoS net, ect. ;) Some ISP's are starting to crack down on these and disable ones connection.

just to be annoying if they ask you the question just keep on saying "WHAT??!!" and then slap yourself and say stop that

You can say, "Yeah, technically, thats why we installed this software firewall for you, remember?" and then proceed to do so. :p

Zedric said:
Opening a port is only dangerous if whatever is listening to that port behind the router is vulnerable.

I like this answer. Of course i could say What What, but people may not pay me ever again to fix their pc. :)

Hand them a stupidly over-sized book containing information on TCP/IP, Networking, Internet Protocols, Security, Viruses and Trojans, then say "You can either read this... or trust me and shut up".

Of course, if they chose to read it, you'll be well out of there by the time they finish anyway :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back