What If...

leedogg

Gojyone kawaiiiiiiii!
Each computer connected to the net helped process some of the internet traffic when idle, similar to other distributed computing projects out there (seti, prime, etc)

What if each cell phone helped relay other cell phone transmissions? so the more cell phones the better the signal.

What if computer software was written which could optimize a pc's pefromance over time? rewriting code more efficiently, testing various internet settings, testing various hardware/OS settings, etc (this would have the greatest impact in a chip fab where they can optimize instruction sets/cpu architectures)

At the very least a pc should be able to optimize its internet settings given whatever line bandwidth it detects...

just some thoughts, feel free to add some of your own or critique mine.

And thus, yet again, comes up the topic of a 'perfect world' :D

Try explaining idealism to all these big companies making the big bucks and they'll stick you in a loonie bin.

Idealism quite simply is a dream. It would be wonderful if we lived in a perfect world, but as we all know, nothing is ever perfect.

[/end philosophical state of mind]

Reading this really good book on Platonism at the moment, hence the philosophical viewpoint :p

MdSalih

Originally posted by Leedogg
Each computer connected to the net helped process some of the internet traffic when idle, similar to other distributed computing projects out there (seti, prime, etc)
No I think the overhead for that would be enourmous. I mean, someone has to route the traffic to you before you can route it (which you do straight back, no gain).

What if each cell phone helped relay other cell phone transmissions? so the more cell phones the better the signal.
Ad-hoc cellular networks. It's being researched. There is alot of issues of course. Security is one, the routed traffic draining your battieries is another.

What if computer software was written which could optimize a pc's pefromance over time? rewriting code more efficiently, testing various internet settings, testing various hardware/OS settings, etc (this would have the greatest impact in a chip fab where they can optimize instruction sets/cpu architectures)
That'd be nice. :)

At the very least a pc should be able to optimize its internet settings given whatever line bandwidth it detects...
Probably an easy task. Provided you acctually can find that information, which you can't unless you are on an unloaded net with bottleneck speeds greater than you interface speed. :)

just some thoughts, feel free to add some of your own or critique mine.

Well, have you thought of the consequences of having a stronger microwave signal hanging around your head? :p
Maybe it'll just fry your brain a bit faster than it's doing currently.
:rolleyes:

What If...
They do now, it's called a "trojan". :rolleyes:

Again... they do now, it's called "cloning" someone elses cell phone. 'sept ya don't get a better signal... just a bigger bill. :p

Never happen... Bill Gates has way too much money. :D

Ummmmmm... see last answer. :p

Never happen... Bill Gates has way too much money.

onteresting, bill gates is the first to actually bring something like this to market...xp actually is the first os that does optimize itself...to no small gain either...prefetch is one of those optimizations

this is the first step in what's known as a "second generation" computer

a second generation computer would be the spawn of a computer that was written specifically to design a computer more advanced then itself, with concepts that we ourselfs couldn't or wouldn't have conceived

and then, so on and so on

we, (human beings) are such a computer...we are trying our best to design thinking devices bettter then ourselfs, and then those will design better then that, and so on..we are almost there aren't we

has anyone thought that this might actually be the grand design of "our universe"?

Sounds like a script kiddies greatest dream ... imagine the info they could get w/ sniffing that network ...

Just throwing some thoughts out there. I always try and think of ways to improve things in life....

so far, i think that distributed internet processing seems like a bad idea, but I cant help but think that theres gotta be a way to improve upon the net. Build a smarter net, one that intelligently optimizes network traffic and can somehow utilize all the pc's out there to help speed things up.

and xie...it would have been nothing they couldnt already intercept, just random packets of data being processed. Would be like you trying to steal the next prime number from the data your pc processes....

Ok so they're working on something like that for cell phones? that would be nice. We'll see how it goes though.

Heres another idea, what about intelligent clothing? Material that automatically opens and closes pores to become: warmer, cooler, waterproof, nekid. Well ok not naked (imagine the havoc if you can remotely trigger this :) ), but the others would be nice. The military would love something like this, wouldnt be surprised if its already being developed/developed somewhere...

for a "better net" I would like to see some kind of code that would know there is no reason for a computer to send 100+ SYN/ping/ect. packets to any 1 ip. This would almost do away w/ DDoS attacks which could only be a good thing as they slow the whole net.

Originally posted by dealer
onteresting, bill gates is the first to actually bring something like this to market...xp actually is the first os that does optimize itself...to no small gain either...prefetch is one of those optimizations
"first os"? Somehow I doubt that. They rarely are. First Microsoft OS maybe.

I cant help but think that theres gotta be a way to improve upon the net. Build a smarter net, one that intelligently optimizes network traffic and can somehow utilize all the pc's out there to help speed things up.
Well, IPv6 will help with some of those things. It has simpler routing structures and fixed packet size so the routers will have less load = faster routing. It also supports QoS to prioritise different classes of traffic, making room for better realtime applications. Among other things. :)

Heres another idea, what about intelligent clothing? Material that automatically opens and closes pores to become: warmer, cooler, waterproof, nekid.
I've allways wanted one of those! :)

Originally posted by dealer

a second generation computer would be the spawn of a computer that was written specifically to design a computer more advanced then itself, with concepts that we ourselfs couldn't or wouldn't have conceived

and then, so on and so on

A few sci-fi movies come to mind...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back