What happened to the DIR command

G

Guru-Choc

Doing it in a directory now displays nothing even if the files are there, what should I use instead. I can't see the sense in taking this out.

try using a folder that has something in it :D

dir works fine.

Um don't you think I would of tried that ??

Tried all my drives, can't see anything when I type DIR, but I can type filenames in there and execute them fine.

C:\Documents and Settings\Gareth Hall>dir
Volume in drive C is MAIN
Volume Serial Number is 0C67-12F7

Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\Gareth Hall

Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\Guru-CHoc

File Not Found

C:\Documents and Settings\Guru-Choc>e:

E:\>dir
Volume in drive E is VIDEOS
Volume Serial Number is 3B66-1000

Directory of E:\

Directory of E:\

File Not Found

E:\>

wierd... my first guess would be that your cmd.exe got corrupt somehow. If i am not mistaken, the dir commend comes from that file. So I have zipped up my cmd.exe file for you to try to replace.

Make a backup of your original first. Then drop mine into c:\windows\system32

Let me know if this works.

yeah...dir should work fine, but you can also use the unix command ls that has options -l, -a, -F, -R etc

one other thing.... entertain me here...

try this..

dir /ah

:D

C:\>dir /ah
Volume in drive C is MAIN
Volume Serial Number is 0C67-12F7

Directory of C:\

Directory of C:\

File Not Found

C:\>

Originally posted by pc_tek
one other thing.... entertain me here...

try this..

dir /ah

:D

you might be on the right track there - Try this instead:
dir *.* /a

that should show any file; be it hidden, system, normal or read only.

also, what is your output of this command?:
echo %dircmd%

Ah-ha, that works with the *.*, but why should Ii need too when others don't, is there some switch/setting that may be foobar ??

I think something is setting the %dircmd% environmental variable to a different filespec. The variable is there to customise DIR so you don't have to type in common switches every time.

what is the output of:
echo %dircmd%

?

Yes, I had changed a setting in the enviromental variables when I first installed XP, and hadn't used the dos window since, deleted that and all is well. Thanks for the help. I knew I musta done something wrong :)

Glad to help.

Always satisfying to hear back that all is well :)

the unix cmds don't work here...damn that would have been cool tool:mad: pc tek long time no see...peppys back and gone again be back up in a few days da boys have been asking about you over there same with rootnik:D

Originally posted by adobo
the unix cmds don't work here...
oops...it must be that I have cygwin installed and the directory with the bins is set as an environment variable. I didnt even think of that, but i guess that explains why ls works. I just assumed that it was an added feature by MS. now that i check...most unix commands like make and rm work so it that must be the case. Sorry

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back