What happened to IPv5?

binoyxj

PrOuD InDiAn
Why was IPv5 not used and instead IPv6 is used.Why a jump from IPv4 to IPv6?

Why was IPv5 not used and instead IPv6 is used.Why a jump from IPv4 to IPv6?
Hello binoyxj, I hope this answers your question.

ut, what ever happened to IPv5?

IPng, Internet Protocol next generation, was conceived in 1994 with a goal for implementations to start flooding out by 1996 (yeah, like that ever happened). IPv6 was supposed to be the “god-send” over the well-used IPv4: it increased the number of bytes used in addressing from 4 bytes to 16 bytes, it introduced anycast routing, it removed the checksum from the IP layer, and lots of other improvements. One of the fields kept, of course, was the version field — these 8 bits identify this IP header as being of version “4? when there is a 4 in there, and presumably they would use a “5? to identify this next gen version. Unfortunately, that “5? was already given to something else.

In the late 1970’s, a protocol named ST — The Internet Stream Protocol — was created for the experimental transmission of voice, video, and distributed simulation. Two decades later, this protocol was revised to become ST2 and started to get implemented into commercial projects by groups like IBM, NeXT, Apple, and Sun. Wow did it differ a lot. ST and ST+ offered connections, instead of its connection-less IPv4 counterpart. It also guaranteed QoS. ST and ST+, were already given that magical “5?.

And now as the Internet clock ticks, our PCs don’t use IPv5. So we’re moving onto 6.

Source: http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2003/06/what_ever_happened_to_ipv5.html

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back