What firewall are ya using?

Thought some might want to know how the XP Firewall bears up under this test.

Mine is set to allow FTP and Remote Desktop Connections, I am not sure what the other allow options are all about.

I blanked out my IP Address even though I am hardly ever connected, its not that I dont trust you lot.

HORROR STORY

Hi guys and gals...

If anyone of you serious folks out there aren't using a Firewall, maybe because you feel it's of no importance due to a slow dialup connection, may I suggest you go to the following URL and read the entire article. It is scary to see how easy it is for the damn hackers to gain control over your computer, and to see exactly how much damage they can do, without you knowing about it.

I'm using ADSL and my computer is always on (I feel I hurt a dear friend when I shut it down :D ), so I've always been using a Firewall and presently I'm using ZoneAlarmPro v.3, and it has saved me from many a visious attacks. It also prevents Popups and allows me a greater cookie control.

PLEASE USE A FIREWALL

Mr-Q

http://grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm

how can U recommend norton internet security so highly all of U??? sure it might block all attacks (as any decent software will) but U have to look at system performance as well!!! All Norton programs are memory hogs and slow your computer down more than necesary.... I would with basically any other known firewall but nortons... no point having secure computer if its so slow U dont wanna use it!!!!!

cheers

I have been tinkering around with network security. I used to use AtGuard even when it was discontinued. I may move on to NIS2002 for the SOLE reason that it IS AtGuard with bloatware. But Outpost Pro seems promising. Right now I'm not using anything not even the Windows XP firewall. If a hacker screws my computer I get a new and better 1 =) but anways hardware firewalls will ALWAYS be number 1. Software firewalls do a good job but aren't always perfect. Tiny, ZoneAlarm, Sygate all have their flaws. No firewall is perfect. I haven't seen any way to bypass NIS because I haven't looked. Outpost is a relatively new firewall but soon enough there will be a way around it. ZoneAlarm is good for the average joe but a trojan that loads before ZoneAlarm will get through.

tiny personal firewall and the xp built in firewall thinngy. i have used zone alarm, and norton. tiny personal firewall does all that they do with out the flashy interface.

oDin.

Tiny Firewall 3 (ICSA certified)
Sygate Personal Firewall PRO 5 (ICSA certified)
Look 'N' Stop
Outpost Firewall Pro

Zonealarm on my winXP Drive and Ipchains on my redhat drive

BlackIce defender, I have read in the past that this was an iffy program, but I tried it on all of the test sites listed in this thread and it passed all of them

Blackice is like ip sniffer it stops in coming but not outgoing this could be a prob in the long run

Managing programmers is like trying to herd cats.

I used to use a firewall I've tried NIS, ZoneAlarm, Sygate, and Macfee. I would have to say that NIS was the best with ZoneAlarm and Sygate coming in at a tie for a free firewall. I didn't really like Macfee at all. Although my recommendation would be to ditch those damn programs and buy a router. Even the inexpensive Linksys Cable/ADSL routers due a good job. I stuck a firewall on for a while just to see if anything would get through, and as expected, nothing did. This way you spend about an extra fourty bucks or so on a router compared to buying NIS and free up your system resources at the same time. I would recommend this setup for any home users, hackers can't attack what they can't see. Unless of course they know your internal IP address's.

I'm using ZoneAlarm Pro 3.0.118 at present very happy with it
:D

PC-Cillin 2002
A nice anti viral with a firewall, tried Norton, Sygate and some more and of them Sygate was the best i think but this works for now.

My NAT router takes care of inbound traffic, so no worries there. Software outbound filtering is overkill for most people, given they have decent antivirus protection. The best defense against trojans is not to allow them into your system in the first place.

If you don't use a hardware firewall or NAT device, XP's firewall will suit you just fine, and you'll have less headaches to show for it.

I run several firewalls (won't release the names of them for security reasons). Depending on how fast I want to connect will determine which firewall will be launched. Also, when my system is on my T-1 line my modem features PipeRider/PipeLock technoligy maximizing security for an always-on connection.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back