what does sp3 contain and what doesnt it ?

all betas have a 180 day limit to them, ones from MS do anyway

Surely Windows Update should be telling me to update to IE7, shouldn't it? It most definitely did not.

Nope. Of course its not listed.
IE7 is not officially part of Windows since the EU legal issue.

Why don't you upgrade to Microsoft Update. Then you'll see IE7 listed.

That's just it. I installed the .NET updates. I installed WMP11 which was listed. I updated everything listed under Custom for Windows Update. IE7 was never listed anywhere. When I got done with my updates I re-checked Windows Update and I had absolutely no updates available.

So, I'm more than a little confused. Even if I didn't want to update to IE7 it should still be listed. :suprised:

It would be nice to not have to do updates after installing SP3 but I can handle .NET framework, WMP11, DirectX and IE7 but they should most definitely be listed so I can do so.

It's not part of Windows Update. Try changing to Microsoft Update...

I hadn't thought about this. Good point.

Actually, I am pretty sure I did and, no, I didn't see it. I'll have to wait to double-check, however, since the install was on a brand new drive that is currently not installed in any system. Thanks for the tip, though. It's possible this is, indeed, the problem.

*Geez some people are such monkey dicks*

Just thinking out loud, carry on.

I agree with why IE7 isn't included in Windows, but MU will only provide updates for other Microsoft products such as Office. IE7 is a Windows component, and would be available with only using Windows Update.

I do recommend using MU though.

I agree with why IE7 isn't included in Windows, but MU will only provide updates for other Microsoft products such as Office.

No, MU provides all the updates for Microsoft software including Windows.
Now you can get updates for Windows, Office and other Microsoft applications all in one place. Microsoft Update is a new service that brings you all the features and benefits of Windows Update plus downloads for other Microsoft applications including Office.

I agree with why IE7 isn't included in Windows, but MU will only provide updates for other Microsoft products such as Office. IE7 is a Windows component, and would be available with only using Windows Update.

I do recommend using MU though.

No it is not! :eek:
IE6 is a Windows component.

Since the EU anti-competitive legal case IE7 is not a core component. Which is why it is listed in Microsoft Update and not Windows update.

Try to keep up...:)

No, MU provides all the updates for Microsoft software including Windows.

That's what I meant, really. I have to say, I have made some of the most idiotic posts over the last week or so :p

What I meant to imply, and I agree with you above, is that IE7 is not restricted to MU - that WU and MU would show it, and you are right MU does all other MS products, including office.

No it is not! :eek:
IE6 is a Windows component.

Since the EU anti-competitive legal case IE7 is not a core component. Which is why it is listed in Microsoft Update and not Windows update.

Try to keep up...:)

I still don't get it.

I know why they can't bundle/include it in the OS, but I'm still not sure why it isn't showing up in MU/WU. I feel like I'm beating my head against a bloody rock here though :p

IE7 should show up in WU, or MU, I don't see why it would be restricted to either. It's a Windows component, you are right - I'm still confused though :eek:

Have to catch up on some feeds for over the weekend - but did anyone figure out why it's not showing up? This is new since SP3 - SP2 and all previous didn't change this behavior. It always used to show up in WU/MU as a critical update. Wonder if SP3 sets some sort of flag making WU/MU think it's installed?

simple reason they don't offer it is because of the eu thing, if they offer it on update MS or WU, that could be looked upon in same way someone doesn't like and ms will get fined again, so they don't offer it, you have to go to the IE pages and download it of your own free will.

Once installed it will offer you the updates, should anyway

Interesting - I suppose that makes sense.

Just odd that I never noticed that before SP3 shots. I'll have to look later on with a SP2 build without it and see if it shows up then.

Thanks for clearing it up finally, sorry I'm so dense :p

I know why they can't bundle/include it in the OS, but I'm still not sure why it isn't showing up in MU/WU. I feel like I'm beating my head against a bloody rock here though :p

IE7 should show up in WU, or MU, I don't see why it would be restricted to either. It's a Windows component, you are right - I'm still confused though :eek:

It's not a core Windows component... :)

BTW if your copy of Windows has the IE7 install administration policy restriction applied then perhaps that is why it may not show up in your MU?

This was designed to stop users installing IE7 via the autoupdates.
I've applied this to my network, I prefer using Firefox.

Code:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Setup\7.0
DoNotAllowIE70=1

Worth checking?
If set to 1, set it to 0.
Check your policy registry keys as well.

(The trouble is of course that IE6 is not just used by users web surfing but by other components like the Help system. So at some point soon IE6 security will be dropped so then its time to get IE7. Probably just when IE8 is officially launched I imagine.) :)

Course nothing to stop you simply fetching it from the download section of the MS site and installing it?

I haven't actually tried it, just seen from others and screenshots from which I gather are personal PCs so the blocker toolkit wouldn't be in place I wouldn't think.

I'll get around to fiddling with it soon enough.

Out of self interest I ran the MU on IE6 on my own XP Pro sp2 machine, I have the IE7 block on, and I see that IE7 is not listed at all.

I even checked my 'Restore hidden updates' option on the page just to check if IE7 was hidden away by me at some point. But it's not in there either.

I also have a newly build XP Pro SP2 machine that I removed the IE7 block on it and I've just tried a MU on it. It wasn't listed either.
Possible that the cookie is telling MS something?

But IE7 it is listed on my non-domain XP Pro SP2 machine.
Odd.

I've now got a copy of SP3 (all 316MB of it) and I'll wait a few weeks to see if the XP world falls apart or not before I install it. Best not to install it just yet. Let others find the problems? :)
3rd party programs can break when you install a SP. So best to wait it out.
We don't want another "NT4 SP6a" issue do we? :laugh:

its fine - i have used it on my quad core pc and its stable, even have a few friends running it and they don't seem to be having any issues

its fine - i have used it on my quad core pc and its stable, even have a few friends running it and they don't seem to be having any issues

hehe, that's hardly a qualification to install it yet. :lick:

I'll wait until my AV and other major 3rd party software publishers I use say their software is compatible with it.

If I did install it any time within the next month and it broken something, then it's my silly fault.

I've been down this route so many times...

all the software i have works fine with it - as do there's, all it is is a collections of all the updates to date, and if all my software worked fine with the 100+updates before sp3, i see no reason why they wont work after sp3.

You should always do a fresh install with service packs anyway

hehe, that's hardly a qualification to install it yet. :lick:

I'll wait until my AV and other major 3rd party software publishers I use say their software is compatible with it.

If I did install it any time within the next month and it broken something, then it's my silly fault.

I've been down this route so many times...
Could always uninstall if you lay it over your current OS build.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back