what does sp3 contain and what doesnt it ?

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
from what i have been reading a few things are left out of sp3 - ie7 is one, have they added wmp11 direct9 (march) .net or will they all still have to be installed after an sp3 install ? if thats the case i might slipstream them into sp3 while im slipstreaming sp3 into my xp sp2 disc

Once it passes any testing you want to run, better off that way anyways :)

I'm left with a concern regarding slipstreaming SP3 and creating a full install disc. I took a brand new HDD and did a clean install and got all my .NET updates, etc, but no IE7 update. Surely Windows Update should be telling me to update to IE7, shouldn't it? It most definitely did not.

its optional - they arent forcing people as a lot of comps still use ie6 as they have built apps that run on it, ie7 breaks them due to updated security and other code

You're better off not slipstreaming SP3. During the time I could get it from connect, a whole bunch of stuff never appeared on WU that was there on SP2.

there was only 4 updates on WU for me after i slipstreamed SP3 - mind you i did install all the .net packs and updates seperatly, as with IE and media player

its optional - they arent forcing people as a lot of comps still use ie6 as they have built apps that run on it, ie7 breaks them due to updated security and other code

That's not correct, IE7 is a critical update these days.

You're better off not slipstreaming SP3. During the time I could get it from connect, a whole bunch of stuff never appeared on WU that was there on SP2.

Wouldn't that mean the stuff not listed was included in SP3, or no longer needed as a result of something in SP3? Theoretically that should include all hotfixes up to the release date. I believe the only pre-req is the system needs to be at least at SP1, which is a bit odd as I'm not sure how the firewall and other SP2 changes would get on there if you went from SP1 to SP3.

What were you missing specifically - can you recall?

they have stated that IE7 will not be in sp3 - you have to d/l it yourself and install or it will come up on WU but you can chose to install it or not, so they are not forcing people

they have stated that IE7 will not be in sp3 - you have to d/l it yourself and install or it will come up on WU but you can chose to install it or not, so they are not forcing people
Right - I misinterpreted what you said. However, rotjong should have seen it when checking for updates as it is critical.

This post confirms the 4 updates after SP3, which are optional and apparently create 3 criticals thereafter (love it!)

http://community.winsupersite.com/b...egrated-with-service-pack-3-a-first-look.aspx

-edit-

Hmm, actually just read over that a bit more carefully. It does appear that IE7 doesn't present itself as a critical or optional update after SP3. Odd?

Last edited:
Interesting and odd all rolled up into one - I wonder why.

when i installed them on sp3 it didnt give me an error about them being installed, did on 3 other updates i had on the drive (windows installer hd audio). If you dont have them installed i dont think they show up on windows update anyway (.net)

So wait, are you using a SP2 build with IE6? If so, then why would you get an error?

If you don't have them installed, IE7 should show up under critical and WMP and .net should show up under optional.

your miss understanding, some of the updates i had sitting on my drive, windows installer 3.1 - HD Audio bus driver, are the ones that errored saying they were already installed, directx 9 (march redist) did not say it was already installed, nor did any of the .net exes or updates, so i would venture to guess that they have not been put into the SP3, nor has IE7

Right - I misinterpreted what you said. However, rotjong should have seen it when checking for updates as it is critical.

This post confirms the 4 updates after SP3, which are optional and apparently create 3 criticals thereafter (love it!)

http://community.winsupersite.com/b...egrated-with-service-pack-3-a-first-look.aspx

-edit-

Hmm, actually just read over that a bit more carefully. It does appear that IE7 doesn't present itself as a critical or optional update after SP3. Odd?

That's just it. I installed the .NET updates. I installed WMP11 which was listed. I updated everything listed under Custom for Windows Update. IE7 was never listed anywhere. When I got done with my updates I re-checked Windows Update and I had absolutely no updates available.

So, I'm more than a little confused. Even if I didn't want to update to IE7 it should still be listed. :suprised:

It would be nice to not have to do updates after installing SP3 but I can handle .NET framework, WMP11, DirectX and IE7 but they should most definitely be listed so I can do so.

Your best source on what's in and what's out is probably the White Papers on the MS site. :lick:

*edit* - MS has up the Release Notes for SP3 now also. :)

Last edited:
I haven't read the release notes but I dont even care. I have been using the RC of SP3 for a month or more now and I dont care to update to the final version, I didn't see any improvements or any problems. So unless there is a specific thing that is fixed with SP3 it's not really worth updating to.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back