What do you think...?

Pooh

OSNN Junior Addict
I have Nero Showtime 2 and when I view things on it with my DVD burner (Pioneer), the movie (DVD-R) runs slow and the sound gets all messed up. The DVD works fine on my external DVD player. Just any DVD played on my computer runs too slow and the sound is distorted.

What do you think is the problem?? I would love any suggestions and answers. Thanks in advance.

Drivers.

Right now I can't play DVD or AVI files on this computer that work fine on a slower one. It just started recently and I think it has to do with the ATI AIW Multimedia drivers I have installed.

Ugly but here is what you have to do:
Update the MB drivers.
Update the sound card drivers and any video capture card drivers.
If that doesn't wotk uninstall the sound and video drivers then reinstall them.
If that doesn't work uninstall the showtime and any other players then reinstall.

This is the third case of video not playing right in the last week (including mine). Somebody must have put out a bad update. Or maybe it was that last Windows media file security update a few weeks back. But both my computers have that and one is working great.

Sigh...

After following my own advice (for 3 hours) I isolated it.

The DIVX codecs needed to be updated:
http://download.divxmovies.com/DivXPlay.exe

Last edited:
Where can I go to find the cards?? Device Manager?? What would it be under? Sorry I am new at this.

Update the divx codecs first.

Also update the xvid codecs:
http://download.divxmovies.com/XviD-1.1.0-30122005.exe

Divx is used for older DVD/vid files.
Xvid is trhe newer open source codec used for DVD and video files.

Then if that doesn't work then try the uninstall/reinstall

For checking the bios settings you typically press Del (it may be a different key for your bios) during power on. A blue menu will pop up. Select advanced and look for on board sound (enable/disable).

To uniunstall/reinstall the SBlive:
start-control panel-system-hardware-device manager-sound right click the SBlive and select properties. Uninstall will be an option.

Thank you! Gave you some reputation points for your helpfulness!!

Ok. So you've tried the following:

-Made sure MB sound is turned off.
-Set all the sliders no more than half way up on the volume control.
-Updated the divx and xvid codecs.
-Uninstalled and reinstalled the SBlive card in device manager.

It still looks like a driver/codec issue.

Download a file called vlc.exe (at www.majorgeeks.com) it is a small multimedia player that will handle just about anything. Try playing a video with vlc. If it works then the problem is in the drivers/codecs somewhere. vlc would play files even when all my other players were doing the same as yours.

Duh- did you update the neroshowtime software? Nero does major updates every few months.

Last edited:
There is no difference. It is still running slow. :(

Here are the codecs that I have currently.
no7nuf.jpg

Pooh said:
I have Nero Showtime 2 and when I view things on it with my DVD burner (Pioneer), the movie (DVD-R) runs slow and the sound gets all messed up. The DVD works fine on my external DVD player. Just any DVD played on my computer runs too slow and the sound is distorted.

What do you think is the problem?? I would love any suggestions and answers. Thanks in advance.

What about files played off of the hard disk?

For my sound board it says "No drivers are installed for this device."

Unintall the IDE channel with the DVD drive on it and reboot.

Also, is your Burner on the same channel as your hdd?

I uninstalled it...I don't know what you mean by the second question.

There are 2 ribbon cable connectors on the MB for HD's/Cd/DVD. The HD's should go to the one and the CD/DVD go to the other.

Sometimes the builder will put a HD and a CD/DVD on one cable into a single connector on the MB to save a buck. It shouldn't make any difference with XP and the newer players, but it's worth checking.

You need to re-install the SBlive drivers. Here's the link for the latest:
http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/

I think I have given up on this project for now! Thank you very much for you help and time. Take care

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back