What do you charge p/h for fixing computers?

lancer

There is no answer!
Political Access
I usually charge about $25-35 per hour, depending on their wealth, but i usually feel guilty for that small pitence.

What do you guys charge.

And has a beautiful middle aged woman kept on calling you back to fix her hard drive?

Nope, but it sounds very like a film I once saw...

Guy knocks on door. "I'm here to fix your hard drive". Cue the music.

:D

Will take alternate forms of payment. :)

If I get a hosed comp, and I recover data, reinstall, tweak, and put on the applications they request - I let them ballpark the price, and usually agree.

Surprisingly enough, alot of the time they overcharge themselves.

On average, I get around 40$ an hour CDN

I say minimum $25.00 a hour, but I usally get beer, food, etc... and end up charging $20.00 per hour or so.

Some will overpay on their own. Some will bitch, but it all evens out.

I have never had a person fail to pay though, just tell them that you will out the crap back in or take a component till payment is recieved.

<music cued>wakka wakka wow wow wakka wakka wow wow</music qued>

[ Because you can't polish a turd ]:. :)

Ironically, many of the shops around here charge $65/hour, or more like $110/hour if they need the skills of a network engineer. This is pretty much the going rate here in Albuq., NM...and consistent with what dif shops around town all charge.

All said, if I were fixing something, it would depend. If my 79 year old father who's retired and living largely on social security and pension fund (yes he did set money aside, but doesn't want to dip into it, to make sure mom would be covered if/when something should happen to him) were able to come over (lives 2,300 miles away however), I wouldn't charge him. It wouldn't seem cosher ;)

Also, and not uncommonly, the clock starts ticking when they leave the driveway, not when they arrive. Other areas/local ecconomies, the rates might very some...

They did have probs with non-payment however. They built several DEC Alpha servers for the university hospital. They were like $200,000 a piece. The university bawlked at the 50% down on the purchase, so they waived it. As Fred said "for our good customers, we'll bend over backwards; but if someone wants to play hardball with us, we can do the same".

Well Carol was telling me how they got these servers, it's now 1 year latter, and they haven't seen any payment whatsoever. They call around, and keep getting sent to another department as everyone keeps claiming it's not their responsibility to deal with that, "contact that department instead". After a long beuracratic run around, she was sorta at the end of her rope and didn't know what to do, other then to say the university will never be allowed to buy anything on credit, ever again.

I ended up telling her that if we were so tardy in paying our tuition bill, they'd take it out to a collections agency. She should do the same. If she does, and the bill collectors get after them, they'll know what it's about; because if the role was reversed and they were owed money, they'd do the same exact thing themselves...

Nick said:
Nope, but it sounds very like a film I once saw...

Guy knocks on door. "I'm here to fix your hard drive". Cue the music.

:D

Very true lol..... u donno here people charge about $15/hr to fix PCs. i donno is a little cheap maybe i would probably charge 20.

Just go take out a few pieces, like hard drives. Cut a few power cables while there.

150.00 as soon as i hit the door step. 75.00 an hour after that.

the one shop I know of here in charges 89 USD an hour and that if you take to the shop I don't know what they charge for onsite other then its more.

Me if I work on one I charge about 50 USD labor and if parts are needd I will charge them the cost of the part and again add the labor to it

Computer repair services charge $80-120 an hour.

Think that's expensive shop time in garages is $120-200.

Plumbers, electricians, general contractors charge $200-500.

If they bitch about $100 an hour tell them to go price a any of the above services that are performed mostly by high school drop outs.

PS If they want an itemized explanation of the cost:
$5 for turning screw driver
$1 for blowing dust off their components
$4 for benadryl from the dust allergy
$10 for mileage charge
$80 for knowing which screws to turn.

LeeJend said:

If they bitch about $100 an hour tell them to go price a any of the above services that are performed mostly by high school drop outs.

I dropped out.

I charge pending on who it is like if i know the person or not. If it is something that takes less then an hour then i charge about 20-30 bucks and so far i have made $60ish this past 3 weeks or less from two people i know which isnt bad. It got me in the mood again to start putting up flyers cause both people said i was there hero lol. Sad thing is both computers need to have xp reinstalled lol.

I do charge about $50 an hour tho for pretty much everybody for building a computer and all that. Havent gotten one of those calls but i sure hope i do :).

I've upgraded and fixed computers for family and friends and wouldn't dream of charging :D

i dont charge friends and family, and for other people i dont like to say i want this much, if they want to pay me i let them, and i never say i want this much, i let them pay what they think i deserve.

LeeJend said:

PS If they want an itemized explanation of the cost:
$5 for turning screw driver
$1 for blowing dust off their components
$4 for benadryl from the dust allergy
$10 for mileage charge
$80 for knowing which screws to turn.

Those are all very high, in Chicago atleast, the comp repair is probably about right though, but almost evey garage around here is around $60/book hour, and plumbers the same. Noone charges $500 an hour for plumbers.

I charge $35/hour at home, and $50/hour on site.

I'm with J79, if I have a customer looking over my shoulder then it is more.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back