What do you all think about this motherboard ?? Asus rampage Formula...

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political Access
rampage_formula_hires.jpg

I am really liking this motherboard and want it more everyday - The specs are as follows:

specs-1.png

I know it doesn't have ddr3 mem, but with a dual one gig video card crossfired and four gig of ram with a quad core processor, not to mention that board is an overclock dream; do you really think that ddr3 will be needed? Unless you get hassled by some 14 year old kid who thinks he is L33T lol

I will point out that i been looking at this and the Asus Striker II Extreme. I like the Striker II, but am not willing to run liquid cooled ...

Price is: $269.00 from the egg.

More info can be found here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131284

and here:

http://rog.asus.com/product/product_rampage_formula_overview.aspx

Seems it does not have any eSATA connectors or headers which can be useful.

That is something else that it doesn't have, AZ, Which is why I am not sure if I will get this exact one or not. I been looking at a couple of them.

The Nforce 790i boards looks really nice. Expecially the xfx and evga boards. Then the Asus Striker II Extreme is really nice.

I have the Rampage Formula. I very much like it and getting my Corsair DDR2 1066 memory running at full speed was cake.

No, there are no eSATA connectors on the motherboard. I purchased a Bytecc SATA/eSATA/IDE (BT-PESAPA) PCI-e card for that.

I had some issues with running my SATA drives in RAID when using IDE ODDs via the onboard IDE controller. There were IRQ conflicts and I had issues with my videocard. I disabled the onboard IDE controller and the issue vanished. I moved the IDE ODDs to the Bytecc card and the issue went away.

The board has been extremely solid and I am very happy with it. I do not overclock my CPU so I can't get into that aspect of the board but I do have a friend that succeeded in some very easy and substantial overclocking with little effort.

If you do go with the board I would immediately recommend not using the ASUS SupremeFX II sound that comes with it along with the SoundMax drivers. Even the lowest level X-Fi XtremeAudio card sounds better, IMHO.

Last edited:
That board is going to replace my evga 680i as soon as I have spare funds. That or the top end DFI X48.

Thanx alot of the info, rotjong. It was very useful and you made my decision much easier .. :)

Thing I never thought of was a esata card. I like the idea ....

Lord, it does look like a sweet board .. There are a lot of people who like it ...

I know it doesn't have ddr3 mem, but with a dual one gig video card crossfired

Call me silly but don't you need an ATI chipset to run Crossfired Video cards? The chipset is Intel.

Call me silly but don't you need an ATI chipset to run Crossfired Video cards? The chipset is Intel.

This is an intel board with ati crossfire support. Which is one of the reasons I am looking at it :)

Intel boards support crossfire. The X58 will support SLI as well. As will Skulltrail.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back