What do u think bout companies moving to other countries?

Tittles

Dabba Dooba
Political Access
Lately in my great state of Michigan...We have had alot of companies move to mexico. Last week are Wzzm 13 news had a week long thing about companies moving to mexico and what it is like to work there and crap like that.

My opinion about it all is that it should be illegal! When companies move to a different country we lose more jobs which doesnt help the economy very much. We have had alot of companies go to mexico lately.

I just wanted to know what u all think about this. I aint the greatest debater or anything but i would really want to here what u say. Thanks

Meh. I worked for Convergys, down here in Ohio. They did outsourced call center work for @Home & Comcast cable internet, some cable tv, some cellular, some digital phone services, and in other locations they do quite a bit else(Microsoft, Dell, some food companies as well). About 2 years ago the opened a a huge center in New Delhi. Since then they closed a large-ish center in Brownsville, TX, a location in England (I forget where), and my location.

I think all the knee-jerk reactions are fairly similar to the reactions people had when I was growing up, when US automakers really started moving jobs out of country. It might be good in the long run, that's what the macro-economists are saying. That being said, my micro-issue is that the current job market here isn't what it was even 2 years ago. I haven't made my mind up about the situation, but it's going to play a role in the upcoming election, unfortunately. I'm definately tired of the overwhelming need for everything to be patriotic. Half expecting Buck Turgidson to toss his hat into the ring.

I have no problems with GM, Ford, and Chrysler closing plants in the US and opening them in Canada....since I am a Canadian. I don't think it should be "illegal" to export jobs because to put it bluntly, many world economies rely on it. Besides, the North American economy is changing from a Blue Collar driven economy to a "Knowledge Based" (administrative) economy.

thebear said:
I have no problems with GM, Ford, and Chrysler closing plants in the US and opening them in Canada....since I am a Canadian. I don't think it should be "illegal" to export jobs because to put it bluntly, many world economies rely on it. Besides, the North American economy is changing from a Blue Collar driven economy to a "Knowledge Based" (administrative) economy.

Well of course u wouldnt care if u live in Canada eh. LOL JK bout the eh. Anyway...But i think they should really make it illegal. I mean why do u think we r losing alot of jobs. I know the economy has to do with part of it but moving to mexico doesnt help much either.

I thought the whole "moving to Mexico" thing was over a while ago. NAFTA has been around for over a decade(signed in 1992 by Bush Sr.). And as far as I can tell, it wasn't a bad thing, the economy went up from that point.

The issue currently floating around is IT positions being outsourced India, Thailand, etc. It has been mostly white collar jobs, network engineers, call center folks of all shades, and the like. Not manufacturing, at least not in the news that I've been reading/watching. To the point where I've heard rumours of a bill that would require companies to let you know if you've reached a customer support rep that is from any country other than the US. "You have connected with an agent from India/England/Canada." That's going a bit too far for me. Don't call me anti-american, but the idea makes me ill.

I know that when cars first started to flood the market at the beginning of the last century that blacksmiths and carriage manufacturers and all sorts of industrys that had flourished for centuries went virtually out of buisiness overnight.What happened to the peep who did these jobs?They found another job!I think many,many peep jus have some kinda fetish to worry too much about things they dont really understand.And who can blame them really?Govt schools do not teach young peep HOW to think anymore.They are too busy tryin to teach them WHAT to think.

I know that when cars first started to flood the market at the beginning of the last century that blacksmiths and carriage manufacturers and all sorts of industrys that had flourished for centuries went virtually out of buisiness overnight.What happened to the peep who did these jobs?They found another job!

If I remember correctly, autos started getting big by the early 1900's, with autos came farm mechanization. Both led to loss of jobs, add in rampant protectionism by the government, and an economy that couldn't keep up, hello Great Depression. :-/ I could easily depress the hell out of myself by contrasting then and now... if I felt like doing the research. Thank goodness for good ol' apathy.

I don't honestly believe it will get that bad, I just think THE MOB(tm) will react as badly as possible to any given situation.

cause making it illegal to move departments of your company to other countries is a basis for a free country :p

its all about globalisation, soon we will have no national political boundries, just the natural ones which have been there for centuries (well most of them), the atlantic ocean took a sabatical in the 3rd century, but it managed to keep it pretty quiet

Don't get me started on free country...

TittleBitties said:
Don't get me started on free country...
When you pay taxes, are hounded for V.A.T. and community charge (Rates/Poll taxes) recorded on at least 500 different cctv camera's, have your details on more computer system than you could ever imagine, there aint no reason it will ever be a free country!

Nothing in life is free. In the UK most call centres have been moved to India, Phillipines and middle Asian countries.

That's at a cost of about 50,000 jobs. The government are even going to charge us to breathe in cleaner air, even though it was them that caused all the pollution.
I have at least a 1,000 more examples of this tripe.

It's all ball cox!

Two certain things in life, taxes and death, even funeral costs are v.a.t. and income tax charged.

Companies moving to other countries isn't and won't be illegal, nor do I think it should be. A local news broadcast is going to give you very limited information, TittleBitties, so I wouldn't base your decision on that alone. As Americans, we aren't on this planet all by ourselves, and we shouldn't act as if we are by keeping everything inside our borders. There is a global economy you know, and it also affects our lives.

TittleBitties said:
Lately in my great state of Michigan...We have had alot of companies move to mexico. Last week are Wzzm 13 news had a week long thing about companies moving to mexico and what it is like to work there and crap like that.

My opinion about it all is that it should be illegal! When companies move to a different country we lose more jobs which doesnt help the economy very much. We have had alot of companies go to mexico lately.

I just wanted to know what u all think about this. I aint the greatest debater or anything but i would really want to here what u say. Thanks

Stopping them from moving would be like stopping you from moving , The only time I think this needs some intervention is when a company take millions in grants and benefits and does not honor that by staying long enough to get that money back into the area it took the money from, but I think most of the time that is covered by legal aggrements between the 2 parties. Other than that what can you do, its like if it was your company and your money and you would benifit from moving to another location ie: Take your computer repair shop to another town. Who can say that is wrong?

Sorry but nothing stops you from moving to another location to better your own status. ;)

Wow...Very Good Point Of Views. (I think thats what i ment?) Anyway...The problem i have with them moving is that alot of people r losing there jobs when the company movies somewhere else. Also... I forgot where i heard this but Alot of companies r moving so they dont gotta pay taxes and all that crap to the government. Like mexico they dont gotta pay crap to the government. They dont even gotta pay jack $h!t to the workers down there either. Some people down there r getting $2.50 a hour or somethin around that line. I think the big reason is cause companies hate spending money so they just wanna go to some country and pay workes as lil as they can.

On a side note...Nice point of views so far. Keep Them Comin would like to hear what the rest of the people here have to say.

It's happening now with the company I work for ... they have a host of management in India, starting up a data center ... and my company isn't the only one. AOL, Dell, IBM, etc ... all are building data centers in India. The companies can cut salaries alone, in 1/2

Ded Morozh said:
If I remember correctly, autos started getting big by the early 1900's, with autos came farm mechanization. Both led to loss of jobs, add in rampant protectionism by the government, and an economy that couldn't keep up, hello Great Depression. :-/

Ehr, no there were a several variables leading to the depression like an incredible drought and the great dust bowl which caused farmers in droves to move to the cities and black friday,the stock market crash.But the move from the horse and buggy buisiness to the automotive buisiness was not it.

And I really doubt this outsourcing buisiness is going to be the boogey-man that so many would seem to prefer to imagine. ;)

Edit.. Like your new sig an av Jewelzz. :)

As far as wages are concerned, cost of living differs in Mexico than it does in the U.S. You can't assume that things cost the same in other countries as they do here. For instance, I believe in Europe right now, gas prices are the equivalent of $5.00 or more per gallon (someone over there correct me if I'm wrong). If such gas prices existed in the U.S., it would throw our economy into turmoil. All this to say, people in other countries can work for pay that would appear to be very insignificant in comparison to wages here, and vice versa.

Concerning the loss of jobs when companies move... we have a very robust and dynamic economy. Cycles exist where jobs are lost and new ones are created. The American workforce used to be largely manufacturing, but new technologies and industries changed that. Change is good, and change will continue to occur.

muzikool said:
As far as wages are concerned, cost of living differs in Mexico than it does in the U.S. You can't assume that things cost the same in other countries as they do here. For instance, I believe in Europe right now, gas prices are the equivalent of $5.00 or more per gallon (someone over there correct me if I'm wrong). If such gas prices existed in the U.S., it would throw our economy into turmoil. All this to say, people in other countries can work for pay that would appear to be very insignificant in comparison to wages here, and vice versa.

Concerning the loss of jobs when companies move... we have a very robust and dynamic economy. Cycles exist where jobs are lost and new ones are created. The American workforce used to be largely manufacturing, but new technologies and industries changed that. Change is good, and change will continue to occur.

Yes I know that things dont cost the same and stuff in other countries but...Mexico i mean i aint sayin its all bad but it is kinda bad there in places. I unno if they like it there and thats how the culture wants it to be but if they were paid alot more it would be alot different there.

Also $5.00 a gallon of gas here would turn this country into i unno what but somethin bad would really happen besides the economy....atleast i dont drive for another couple years. Even tho i could drive by next year but i dont feel like takin drivers training rather have the money go towards my dirtbike.

Sigh, nobody studies history (me either, I just lived it).

The loss of jobs overseas has crippled this country from what it was in the 1950's and 1960's. In 1950-60's one parent worked and one stayed home and nurtured the family. You had a new car every 2-3 years (mostly paid for) a home with a mortgage that would be paid off well before you retired, and a lot of people had a vacation cabin or the feasibility of getting one (and time to use them).

Then the manufacturing jobs went overseas.

Now you have a car with a 6 year loan that will never get paid off (car is worn out before loan is). You have to keep refinancing your home mortgage to pay for your new cars so the home is never paid off. Both parents work to service the debt on their loans and they stick their kids in day care centers. No one has a cabin or summer place anymore, unless they are rich, and even the rich don't bother because they have to work 50% more hours than the average guy to stay where they are.

How does loosing those jobs work out ok even if more people are employed now than back then?

A nation can not continue to exist financially by having its citizens sell burgers and insurance to each other.

Japan almost destroyed the USA in the 70's and 80's by stealing our manufacturing jobs. We fought our way back over a 20 year period (of really crappy employment opportunities) through the high tech industry growth. Now China and India are stealing the tech jobs.

Let me warn anyone studying for a tech job now. Don't bother, it will be as useless in 10 years as spending 5 years to become a tool and die maker became in the 70-80's. Probably a lot sooner because now you don't even need to spend 3 years building a factory. Rent an office, run in a T1 line and buy a couple hundred Taiwanese Clone PC's for a few hundred bucks each and run pirated software on them. Instant support center, software design company, etc. Pay your Masters and Phd employess a couple hundred USD a month and with minimal investment and overhead one entrepreneur can steal (200x$60,000=) $12m/year from the USA economy. What a deal! BTW $6 million of that would have been tax revenue to support the $50 Billion a year we are spending to "liberate and pacify" Iraq and Afghanistan. I don't see a real big Chinese or India contribution to stopping terrorism.

If you want USA jobs - B U Y A M E R I C AN! Vote with your wallet.

Any USA tech employee who buys an Intel CPU (brags about creating 20k new jobs all overseas since the end of the recession and none of them in the USA) or a Dell computer (moved all of its consumer tech support over seas to people who barely speak pidgeon english) should be neutered so they can't breed their stupidity. And just for the hell of it send Intel and Dell a letter telling them how you feel. Along with a copy of the sales receipt for your new (non-Dell / non-Intel) PC.

Ok, one more rant.

Out of work? Making peanuts since you got layed off in the recession? No prospects of things getting better?

D O N " T B L A M E B U S H, O R C L I N T O N O R T H E C O N G R E S S.

Blame the bastards running Intel and Dell. The failure of this recovery to spur job creation is not true, the jobs were created. All of them in India and China. At the choice of the Dell's and Intel's we are supporting. Boycott the scum suckers. Tell your friends family, and anyone asking for recommendations here to buy from pro american tech companies.

Since I did live through this same thng before I know no one will heed (or even consider) my words but at least I know I took action by saying and living them. (AMD PC's, Zenith home entertainment center, GM cars, and whatever else I can find with a sticker on them indicating significant USA manufacturing content.)

PS My second choice is Korean (my company makes money selling to them) or Japanese (hey we crushed them twice in one century {WWII and the 12 year recession we helped drive them into}, so cut them a little break).

LeeJend said:
"A nation can not continue to exist financially by having its citizens sell burgers and insurance to each other."

"If you want USA jobs - B U Y A M E R I C AN! Vote with your wallet."

"Any USA tech employee who buys an Intel CPU (brags about creating 20k new jobs all overseas since the end of the recession and none of them in the USA) or a Dell computer (moved all of its consumer tech support over seas to people who barely speak pidgeon english) should be neutered so they can't breed their stupidity."

"D O N " T B L A M E B U S H, O R C L I N T O N O R T H E C O N G R E S S."

"PS My second choice is Korean..."

Good stuff here...good stuff. The first quote made me laugh :D

Wish I could take credit. I heard it or something similar years ago.

PS Thanks for the help breaking Japan. We couldn't have done it without you.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back