What do I need to setup a network?

K

kewlio

I am currently using a network that works through the phoneline. It is suppose to be 10mbps but I would like to get a faster connection.

Also I am getting a Direcway satellite connection, because I am out in the country and can't get a faster connection, and would like to share the connection with the 2 computers on the netowrk.

What all would I need to setup a 100MBps network to share files, printers, and net access?

Thanks

A router and cables or if you wanna go the "harder cheaper way" a hub and cables

Originally posted by Krux
A router and cables or if you wanna go the "harder cheaper way" a hub and cables

Whats the difference between a hub and a router? And why is a HUB a "harder cheaper way?"

:(

Originally posted by Black_Pride
Whats the difference between a hub and a router? And why is a HUB a "harder cheaper way?"
A hub is just a dumb device, a traffic splitter if you wish. A router is an active device and (in this case) it will examine each packet and send it to the appropriate computer on your network. The 'hub way' is a bit harder since you'll have to set up one of your computers as a router. A bought router is just 'plug-in and run' (well, almost anyway).

Setting up a computer as a "router" is as easy as setting up the gateway and dns on the "clients"...

One other benefit to using a Hub/Switch... The network is accessable from any location...

I have 3 pc sharing a ISDN connection. 100MBps network, using 3Com 10/100 network cards and a 100MBps hub, the hardest part is running cables.

Get the Setting Up a Home Network for Dummies book, thats what I did, read it once, then I knew everything took 20 mins to get the newtork all working once the bit arrived.

I set my network up the easy way. I put a 2nd NIC in my computer, and used a crossover cable to hook up the other. Total out of pocket for shared broadband LAN:

$22

Being able to administer the wife's computer without leaving my chair:

Priceless...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back