What do I do???

Evil Marge

I Rule
Political Access
When I scan any file with my virus scanner I get this warning...What is it and what do I do to get rid of it.
When I run the scanner to scan the whole computer it doesn't find it :confused:

what antivirus program are you using? check their website for recommendations...

but if your kernel32.dll is really hosed, you could try a windows repair (you're using XP?), but you may need blow away your current OS to reinstall it. just my best guess.

What happens if you choose 'Yes'?

Couldn't find a thing about it doing a google.

If needed, couldn't the dll be replaced from the XP cd and the extract command?

Thanx guy's I can't find any info either :huh:

Speedy I daren't choose yes cause I don't know what will happen.
I have no idea about replacing the dll from the CD,things like that go straight over my head :confused:

i'd say replace it with the xp cd:cool:

Originally posted by Henyman
i'd say replace it with the xp cd:cool:

I don't know how to do this....More to the point I'm terrified to do this :D

if i had an xp cd i might be able 2 help:huh:

If you choose yes, the file will be deleted.. if its a vitally important file, then it (in theory) will be in use and will not be able to delete.

Sooooo, I think, delete it, then replace it from the XP cd by doing the following.

pop in the XP cd.
click > start > run
type in cmd, hit return
type in (or copy/paste) expand D:\i386\kernel32.dl_ C:\windows\system32

This should replace the dodgey (or deleted if you chose to do that first) file with the original from the XP cd.

Btw, do you have service pack 1 installed? (this -may- confuse things)

i'm not sure if it's wise 2 delete it 1st, i say jus replace it

depending if its in use you may not be-able to do either, if your going to replace it straight after i think letting norton give it a quick slap can't do any harm :)

err, well you're going to need to replace the file from SP1 then instead of the XP CD, not entirely sure how to do this.

I know that you can open up the SP1 exe file if you have WinRAR installed (possibly with winzip too) and grab the file to desktop then expand it.

Actually installing SP1 again may do the trick as it will try to replace/update all the files..

Thanx Speedy...I'm gonna keep looking for info and if that fails I'll try your idea :)

n/p, it seems wierd that an app like norton would suggest the deletion of such an important file though.
I mean i dont know the files exact function, but "Windows NT BASE API Client DLL" doesn't sound like something you want to go around deleting :)

I won't be deleting it probably end up with a knackered pc if I did :D

Don't know if this helps - -but I found the following:

kernel32 - kernel32.dll - DLL Information
DLL File: kernel32 or kernel32.dll
DLL Name: Windows NT BASE API Client DLL (32 Bit)
Description: Contains Windows API Functions used by all Windows Applications
System DLL: Yes

Common Errors: File Not Found, Missing File, Exception Errors
Solution: Download WinTasks to find out which application is using this DLL. Many problems can be solved by resinstalling this application. If the DLL is missing, download it to your windows system folder.

At this site:

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/dlllibrary/kernel32/

You can always try this (should be quite safe :))

Download the rar attached to this post, its my kernel32.dll (i've got sp1, should be the same) then extract it to your desktop.
once you've done that, open up c:\windows\system32 and rename your file to Kernel32.dll.old or something similar, then move the one off the desktop into its place.

Thanx dudes...We did a restore then reupdated the virus scanner and when it found the infected file it cleaned it...Don't know why it didn't do that before :huh:
From what I could find out it came from my sons ICQ prog so that's getting deleted straight away :D

Thanx again I don't know what I'd do without you all :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back