What do I buy?

napalmnthemorning

OSNN Senior Addict
I traded an old video card (Voodoo 5 5500) for a P4 1.5 Ghz processor 256/400 1.75V Heatsink and fan (Intel A38001-02 Sanyo) + 512MB pc3200 Patriot memory and an ATI Radeon 9200 128 video card. Now I need the rest of the stuff. What TYPE of motherboard do I need to buy for this type of P4 processor, and any suggestions on a good place to purchase a reliable inexpensive barebone that I can upgrade to with floppy drive, DVD/CD. Thanks

well abit and asus are good mobos, i feel like they are the same in some ways but just different copanies take a look at them
Abit
and
Asus

Isn't there a specific/type model mobo I have to purchase with a P4 thats under 2.0 Ghz? thanks for the feedback FishBoy!

What you need is a socket 478 board. Your pentium is a Williamette. My old board took that processor---MSI 850 pro5 but that took RAMBUS memory. That might be where you will get stuck, trying to match the cpu & the memory you have to a board that will take both. Really not worth going for a newish board with an old processor. I got about A$80 for mine on ebay. You could try getting an upgrade cpu to go with the memory. Some good bargains at ebay for secong hand processors.

Great idea HD. As much as I hate rebates (BestBuy is the worst here in the states) I thought the barebone was a pretty good deal considering you get the case, power suppy, the CD-RW, keyboard/mouse/speakers for $30.00. The motherboard looks pretty good itself. Looks like I might have some more options here if the P4/1.5 works in the ECS PM800-M2. If not I'll pick up another mobo someplace. This is for my daughter so she could upgrade later too with this mobo if it takes the chip?

You should have no problems with the cpu. Hope when you power it up it co-operates.
:) Let us know how you go.

The barebone systems looks good, all the latest features. Now on to your comment about Best Buy and rebates...

I've never had a problem with them. One time Samsung had not sent me a rebate so I walked in told Best Buy the rebate was 4 weeks past the due date. They gave me a phone number to call. I asked to use their phone, punched in my info and the Samsung rebate center said they never heard of me. I told the manager that and he handed me $30 cash out of the till. (Amusingly 3 weeks latter the rebate came in the mail.)

Make a copy of the stuff you send in and if there is ever a problem the stores will cough up the rebate.

Thanks for all your insights. Much appreciated. I'll report back this next week when I go to put my first PC together. Now to read up some more.

Just finished putting in a nice red glowing case fan. Anyway the computer is up and running. My first PC. Man that felt good!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back