What CPU should i choose AMD or INTEL?

D

Daniel Rossi

Hi Everyone,

With the amount of money i am willing to spend on a CPU for the same amount i can get either a AMD ATHLON XP 2800+ or a INTEL P4 2.4GHZ 800MHZ FSB and i cannot make up my mind to eiter, which one would be better, preffered and why? as i need help trying to decide as i cannot make up my mind myself lol ;)

Well, it depends on what you're wanting to do. For gaming, the Athlon 2800+ XP is the best choice. If you can't stand to wait 3.7 seconds and must have your effect process in 3.1 seconds in Photoshop, go with the Pentium.

I like to oversimplify :)

Thanks, i might take intel due to the fact it has hyperthreading, if only the amd had it hehe

Wait for the K8 to come out... It's got the Hyper Transport technolgy, which is meant to be similar (in not better) than the HT in Intel.

I bought the AMD 2800+ a couple of months ago and am very happy with it. For the price difference, I think it was well worth it.

I may be biased - but...

I'd have to say AMD... I presume you haven't decided on your mobo yet? I guess you may get better value with Intel, because they can manage to knock out the higher volumes - but I believe when it comes to innovation AMD win, hands down.

Remember - the choice you make now will decide your mobo - then you are locked into that decision if you ever want to change the chip in your mobo...

Needless to say I run an AMD here ;)

thanks for all your answers, soo does the amd athlon 2800+ run at the same speed as an intel 2.8 or is the 2800 rating crap so to say?

the 2800+ runs at around 1.9G or 2Ghz, i cant remember the spec.
basically the 2800+ rating is the equivalent to an intel running at 2.8Ghz.

Unless you want to pay $700 for a chip, then don't wait for the Athlon 64, unless you REALLY have a need for 64 bit. If you are playing games then the higher speed AMD Athlon XPs will be more then enough. Each chip has it's own set of programs that it does better on than the next. I believe Intel kicks AMDs but in Quake but AMD kicks Intels but in Unreal Tournament (I much prefer UT). I run an AMD 1900 and It's got enough power to do everything. It's about time for an upgrade though. I will probably go with the Athlon 64FX-51 just to say I have it though :D I am not trying to say that Intel wouldn't be a good choice (especially the new Pentium 4 Extreme Edition chip) but I myself have been a fan of AMD since the K6-2 series (I know... they weren't THAT great, but that's when AMD could blow the pants off of Intel in price, and they were decent chips.) The Athlon chips reinforced my opinion on them, and then the XP chips just helped even more. I have seen benchmarks that suggest that just about anyone can manipulate a chip to look good. Some sites have benchmarks showing the P4EE kicks the A64, and vise verse. Make the decision on price and performance (value).

Originally posted by ming
Wait for the K8 to come out... It's got the Hyper Transport technolgy, which is meant to be similar (in not better) than the HT in Intel.

hypertransport is a different setup than hyperthreading...

I'd go for the 2800+. Benchmarks have shown, over and over again that HT on the P4 doesn't have that big of a difference in performance, surely not worth the premium that Intel wants for the tech.

Originally posted by Daniel Rossi
Hi Everyone,

With the amount of money i am willing to spend on a CPU for the same amount i can get either a AMD ATHLON XP 2800+ or a INTEL P4 2.4GHZ 800MHZ FSB and i cannot make up my mind to eiter, which one would be better, preffered and why? as i need help trying to decide as i cannot make up my mind myself lol ;)

You have come to what only appears to be a fork in the road... P4 all the way!:)

Go for a P4 if you're going to do a lot of 3D creation, if anything else, go for an AMD.

I'm only saying this after looking at all the benchmarks from 3DMark.

I've only ever used AMD chips, and they've always done well for me. Just make sure you keep it cool in your case; my CPU has the tendency to get a little hot under the collar, so to speak ;)

I'm happy with the temp being around 55C, but would be happier if it were lower.
Besides, no damage is done unless it's over 75-80C anyway.

I only have 1 Intel chip and that's a PIII 600mhz Slot 1 card. I use that as my FTP sever. The other 3-4 computers are AMDs. I prefer AMD because it's like supporting the underdog. But AMDs have power, and are cheaper. My profile will tell you what I'm running as my gaming rig. I'll be beefing up to an AMD 3000 or 3200 sometime with 400FSB and same amount of 400mhz ram as well.

I have absolutely no complaints about these great chips.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back