What AV/Firewall do I need with a router?

Mubbers

Shoot!
Political User
Now I've got a router for my Broadband access what firewall programmes and anti-virus programmes do I need to run on my machines while connected to the net?

Enyo

OSNN Veteran Addict
The fact you have a router does no affect your requirements for a AV. So stick with whatever you have now, if you dont have one get one, consult the AV Poll for more information.

In terms of firewalling the PCs on the LAN you may want to continue to run a simple firewall on the workstations to allow you to control applications internet access.

A broadband (NAT based) router will stop unsolicited incoming traffic but thats it. Anything is allowed out which is why you may want to keep control of what applications can communicate with the internet.

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political User
My Opinion as far as AV's go is you don't need any. As far as firewalls are concerned you don't need one of those either unless you don't want any information getting. Which case you could do like me and use the free version of Zone Alarm.

Tiesto

OSNN Addict
I use Kerio with my Linksys router, NAT blocks some incoming traffic and Kerio blocks the rest. All ports from 1-1056 are stealthed and my box doesnt respond to ICMP's or Ping attempts.

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political User
Tiesto said:
I use Kerio with my Linksys router, NAT blocks some incoming traffic and Kerio blocks the rest. All ports from 1-1056 are stealthed and my box doesnt respond to ICMP's or Ping attempts.
what about 113 ??? Go to www.grc.com, do the shield up and check ...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Haniew