What are these files???

C

cscally

Sorry for this stupid question but when using Internet Explorer, in internet options, under the temporary internet options, I usually go in and delete all of my cookies to keep my system clean, what I want to know is can I safely delete the downloaded program files?? What are these? The program themselves?? Most of them have installed under the status key. Please advise as I can't stand not knowing what something is on my computer and why it is there!! :confused: :eek: Thanks for all replies!! cscally

Hey, thanks for the quick reply but use the disc cleaner daily but these files are never taken off. Am I doing something wrong?? thanks for your reply!!

No, not there. In internet explorer, go to tools, then internet options, then Under the temporary internet files click on the settings button, here I get the option to view files, or to view the objects. The files tab have all my cookies listed, the objects tab has all my downloaded programs listed with the status listed as installed. I don't believe it is the same as what you are talking about since when I go to the disk cleaner it shows downloaded programs as 0 kb. As I said, I run my disk cleaner daily. Let me know if I'm making myself clear. Please advise if you understand what I'm talking about. Thanks, cscally

Now I'm with ya. Don't know about deleting the items. They would probably be downloaded again when needed. :confused:

Do u have any idea what are are?? Its making me crazy! Thanks Hipster!!

Those are little programs Internet Explorer downloads to properly display webpages you visit. The most common is the Shockwave/FLash Player one. Without that one, you won't be able to watch flash animations embedded in web pages. As for the others, I don't know how important they are but you can definately delete all of them, but understand you'll be prompted to download them the next time you visit a webpage that requires them.

Hope this helps.

sum are active x controls some useful some unuseful sum dangerous!!! these are where the files are stored when you get that screen about signed software and do you trust it and so on in IE

why are you so fanatical about deleting them?
just leave them..
i doubt you will save much disk space by deleting them.. all you're doing is increasing the time required to view pages and all because you'll have to redownload lots of things.. i'd advise you to leave them unless really low on space, or for sum other special reason

I'm not being fanatical, I just like knowing what is on my computer and what purpose it serves being there. I now know what purpose they serve and completely understand what they are doing there... no thanks to you PhishyPhriend. Thanks to u other guys who took the time to explain, that is how I learn!! I'll be leaving them alone now. ttfn ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back