What are the files in c:Windows/prefetch?

The prefetch folder is a cache folder. It contains info that links to recently used programs and files. It is the first place that the OS will look when you want to open a program and / or when your system boots. It speeds both.

Prefetch is enabled by default.

For more detailed info you can do a search on google.

its worth deleting all these files every now and then -
You can end up with 100s you never use
your next couple of boots will be a bit slower until the new files have been created
;-)

Sorry to disagree TwoZ, but I never delete files in the Prefetch and I have no files older than two weeks old. It appears to do its own housekeeping.;)

I know I've seen that advice frequently - and while it can't do any harm I just don't agree with it.

thanks for the replies. I asked because i noticed programs i opened have prefetch files in that directory. Some programs i don't use anymore still have prefetch files.

Allan, so I should let windows automatically handle those and not delete on my own?

nysaga - not a big deal either way. If they are old files, then by all means take TwoZ's advice and delete them - it cannot hurt anything. As I said, my prefetch seems to manage itself, but perhaps some don't.

either way works

I have deleted those files before and the world continued to turn at approx 800 miles an hour lol

either way works after a delete the first couple of boots are a tad slower and also when you open some apps but it will catch up in a short time

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back