What are the files in c:Windows/prefetch?

A

allan

The prefetch folder is a cache folder. It contains info that links to recently used programs and files. It is the first place that the OS will look when you want to open a program and / or when your system boots. It speeds both.

Prefetch is enabled by default.

For more detailed info you can do a search on google.

2z

OSNN Gamer
its worth deleting all these files every now and then -
You can end up with 100s you never use
your next couple of boots will be a bit slower until the new files have been created
;-)

A

allan

Sorry to disagree TwoZ, but I never delete files in the Prefetch and I have no files older than two weeks old. It appears to do its own housekeeping.;)

I know I've seen that advice frequently - and while it can't do any harm I just don't agree with it.

N

nysaga

thanks for the replies. I asked because i noticed programs i opened have prefetch files in that directory. Some programs i don't use anymore still have prefetch files.

Allan, so I should let windows automatically handle those and not delete on my own?

A

allan

nysaga - not a big deal either way. If they are old files, then by all means take TwoZ's advice and delete them - it cannot hurt anything. As I said, my prefetch seems to manage itself, but perhaps some don't.

Shamus MacNoob

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
either way works

I have deleted those files before and the world continued to turn at approx 800 miles an hour lol

either way works after a delete the first couple of boots are a tad slower and also when you open some apps but it will catch up in a short time

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut