WGR 614 Can't Access Menu

LeeJend

OSNN Veteran Addict
Ok, I screwed up somehow...

Last year I needed a wireless connection fast and without the risk of messing up my wired network so I bought a WGR 614 and followed the instructions to make it an access point. (Hook it's LAN port to a PC, enter setup, turn off DHCP, change the IP address, plug it into my Router.)

This worked fine at the time but now that I have the time, and can risk causing problems with my wired network I want to make the WGR 614 my router or at least add encryption to the access point.

Unfortunately I can't access the setup menu anymore. When I plug it into any PC using it's LAN port I can not talk to the WGR 614 using IE. The port light flashes like it's processing the request but I get no log in or menu screens.

Things I've tried:
-Web searches for help on the topic.
-Various IP's including the default 192.168.0.1, the 192.168.0.99 IP they recommend using when setting WGR 614 up as an Access Point, and every IP between .1 and .99.
-Factory config reset button on back of unit. (Yes, I held it in until the light started flashing.)
-Back up factory reset procedure of power cycling while holding the reset button in.
-Tried connecting to it from 3 different PC's
-Tried connecting to it over it's wireless port.
-Tried hooking it up between my dsl modem and a PC.
-Tried multiple cables.
Nothing gets me back into the login/start up menu. The unit continues to operate just fine as an access point though.

I can replace this stupid thing for $10-20 but it has become a challenge (obsession).

Anyone have any ideas on:
-How do I find out it's current IP address? Tried tracert, no luck.
-Is the menu system in it's bios just trashed?
-Can I flash it's firmware without knowing an IP?
-Anything fancy I can try using it's MAC Addr?

The IP range is up to 255, so 99 isn't max.
LeeJend said:
-How do I find out it's current IP address? Tried tracert, no luck.
There are tools to detect IPs on the local network. I won't try to find one because of below. ;)
LeeJend said:
-Is the menu system in it's bios just trashed?
Maybe. Let's hope not. ;)
LeeJend said:
-Can I flash it's firmware without knowing an IP?
Maybe, if there is a flashing tool that detects any connected routers automatically by using a broadcast or similar.
LeeJend said:
-Anything fancy I can try using it's MAC Addr?
Yes! You can make your computer believe that it has a certain IP. Open the command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd).
Run arp -s <selected IP> <MAC addr>
e.g. arp -s 192.168.0.254 01-23-45-67-89-ab
The router now has that IP according to your computer. After you've set up the correct IP and stuff in the router you can remove the arp entry by running arp -d <selected IP>.

Good luck! :)

Hugs, kisses, rep points. I'm into the router login.

WTF Hold off on the rep point comment.

Got this message when I tried to rep you:
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Zedric again."
Does this mean if there's only one smart person on the site you can only rep them once in a row? Sheesh!

Hmm. Not getting the password. Limited list I would use. I wonder if I'm actually into a neighbors network... :nervous:

Whew, weird. Managed to log into router from a different machine over the wireless connection using default id/password. If anyone is looking for wirelss router I now recommend something other than netgear...

LeeJend said:
Hugs, kisses, rep points. I'm into the router login.

WTF Hold off on the rep point comment.

Got this message when I tried to rep you:
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Zedric again."
Does this mean if there's only one smart person on the site you can only rep them once in a row? Sheesh!

Hmm. Not getting the password. Limited list I would use. I wonder if I'm actually into a neighbors network... :nervous:

Whew, weird. Managed to log into router from a different machine over the wireless connection using default id/password. If anyone is looking for wirelss router I now recommend something other than netgear...

So it's working now? I'll wait for the rep then. ;)

Yes, I got it all set up the way I want it now. :)

WPA, DHCP back on, not transmitting SSID, even flashed the latest firmware.

The arp utility worked nicely. When used with the -a parameter it actually showed me the assigned router IP (192.168.0.2, weird I tried that one) , as well as getting the PC to talk to the router.

I guess I can live with a Netgear after all. Just don't try and use it as an Access Point with DHCP turned off.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back