WG311v3 Driver Problems

Caserno

OSNN Junior Addict
I just installed Vista last night, and even though the WIFI card is recognised and the driver installs, the card will not work :cry:, I have google the problem but have had not much success, does anyone know of any work-arounds for this?

Is this a built system, like you did it yourself, or is this an add-on card to something else? You need more info in your question to get a response.

Who is the manufacturer?

I just installed Vista last night, and even though the WIFI card is recognised and the driver installs, the card will not work :cry:, I have google the problem but have had not much success, does anyone know of any work-arounds for this?

This is a Netgear wireless card.
I have had a WPN311 card for some time without success in Vista, thats why both PCs still dual boot.
Netgear publish update informations in their forums following notices / complaints .... but have been slow in dealing with Vista update drivers.

Last edited by a moderator:
It should definitely work in Vista, there are, I think, 2 sets of drivers that both work with Vista. The only time I had a problem was with the beta 2 version of Vista - you're not still running that are you? If you are, then I don't think there's much you can do. If you're running the latest RTM / final retail version then just get the latest drivers off the website:

The link is here.

Oh, just thought, you're not running the 64-bit version are you? That could cause problems.

It is a home built computer and yes you are correct it is a netgear card, running with 32bit Vista, It was automatically detected and installed by Vista, this didn't work, I then tried the latest off the site and they also didn't work, thanks for your responces

Ok, are you sure it's the v3 of the card you have - I know the routers go mental when the wrong version of the firmware is installed, perhaps this is something to do with it?

Also, you could be experiencing some sort of IRQ conflict and if this is the case I would recommend trying to move the card to a different slot on your motherboard.

Other than that I'm not sure. It really ought to work in Vista so if it still doesn't after trying everything perhaps the card is faultly, in which case you should send it back for replacement if possible.

Thanks for the tip, the IRQ rings a bell but I didnt know how to fix that, Ill give it a try.

Here is rule of thumb for IRQ problems

1. Never install any device in the PCI Slot next to the Video Adapter Slot. With
most motherboard layouts thec PCI and AGP connector share the same IRQ.
2. If there are 5 PCI connectors the 5th connector at the edge of the motherboard will be a shared IRQ.
3. Onboard devices also use IRQ's and may conflict with other devices.
4. Devices that should never share IRQ's are Video Cards, Network Cards and SCSI Controllers (especially Adaptec).

I hope this is helpful to everyone, I built and diagnosed many systems over the past 15 years.

Cheers

Shaf

Thanks for the excellent advice, its been a bsy few days for me so I havent had the chance to open up my case for a while, I think Ill do it today, I'll let everyone know how it goes

I tried swapping postions around but it was no help, Im happy with my wired solution at the moment so that will do till I get a new computer.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back