Western Digital SUCKS

I can't wait untill the IBM one die .... I will replace it before that... actually I have been using computer since I was 10.. I am now 21.. never had one single harddrive failed... I am a lucky guy... :)

just wanna know the general price for Western Digit
how much is a 8m buffer 80Gigs harddisk?
how much is a 2m buffer 80Gigs harddisk?

Originally posted by joey
just wanna know the general price for Western Digit
how much is a 8m buffer 80Gigs harddisk?
how much is a 2m buffer 80Gigs harddisk?

Here are the prices from NewEgg's website

80GB with 8mb cache = $104.99
80GB with 2mb cache = $96.00

I think seek time is the major issues when u R/W small files rather than a hugh file. i.e. operating system is much smaller and AVI or MPEG is much larger.

Also, I think it is much easier to put more buffer memory into a harddisk and it helps easier to market the product, (8mb buffer) sounds great and this is an effective tool to promote their product with a relatively low cost.

But 'seek time' is the real technology requires costly research and development, and i think this is the area most harddisk manufacture wants to improve but so difficult. This have to be done with the media and the RPM, etc. These areas have a much higher research cost rather than putting extra buffer memory.

a few more mb memory is not gonna help... just for people who don't know much about it and who thinks more is better... If a few more people is gonna help a lot.. then all companies will do the same... why don't they?? because according to the access time and the speed of harddisk at the moment.. more memory is not nessacery... so if (enough) (more != better} .. remember that..

if you want more memory... buy some more RAM makes more sense... think about it..

i've got 2 120mb western digital's with the 2mb cache and i LOVE them! I'm come across a Western Digital 120 with the 8mb cache and the head has crashed on it. If I took the board off of it and put it on one of the 120's with the 2mb cache's body do you think it would work? Thanks

well... you mean you are gonna swap the disk?? in theory YES, but you will have to be very careful... since dusts or anything get on the disk will damage it and create bad sector .. or fuk up the whole disk. if you have two boken ones then it's worth trying.. otherwise.. you better not to break one and try to fix one... it will end up with 2 faulty drives.

read their spec

Base on the most powerful 80GB EIDE harddisk from IBM (120GXP 2mb buffer) and Western Digit (WD Caviar Special Edition 8mb buffer), I found IBM has slightly better performance than Western Digit in Average seek time, Track to track, Full track, while other are the same.

The following links are their specification, anyone knows how to read please check it out will give you a very clear conclusion. After reading this you'll know how important "seek time" rather than "buffer".

IBM
http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/desk/ds120gxp.htm

Western Digit
http://www.westerndigital.com/library/eide/cavse-001.pdf

I am not saying IBM is the best, there are many brands worth a try ;)

you can't base the performance of two harddrives made by two different manufactures based on the manufacturer claims. that's kinda silly.

fact is, the 8mb buffer comes in handy when, say, a 6mb file needs to be written to the hd... the ide controller sends the file to the drive and it goes right into the buffer so the ide controller can go on and do other things... with a 2mb buffer, it would have to wait for most of the file to be actually written before it could go do another task.

but, on the other hand, files larger than, like, 200k aren't common when it comes to loading games, programs, and the os. and a good seek time comes in handy in pretty much any hd r/w situation.

i started out as an ibm fan about 2 years ago when they released their lightning-fast 75gxp's... but reliability has somewhat shaken my faith, though my 3 are doing just fine. the newest 120gxp's are awesome. can't wait for their ata150 serial drives. }:>

2mb will give enough time for buffering to the harddisk.. no matter how big the file is.. I am not say 8mb is not doing anything.. I will be good if you have a faster drive... so if you just gonna buy Western Digital because it's got MORE memory as buffer.. then you are silly... get some more RAM.. as CPU only deals with ram.. and anything you are going to write to the Harddisk buffer (memory) are from Ram. and also, if you have a large amount of memory then data can be stored in the memory when you run it the first time... after that ... there is not much to do with the Harddisk unless you write something on it... (that's assuming you have large enough memory (RAM) to store everything AND you are not using any memory management program to WIPE your important data out.) That should be clear.

What does 8mb buffer memory do?

It is much easier to put more buffer memory into a harddisk and it helps easier to market the product, (8mb buffer) sounds great and this is an effective tool to promote their product with a relatively low cost.

Their technology level allow them to launch the 8mb buffer harddisk at a low cost, but the their technology level don't let them to improve the seek time of their harddisks.

I think every consumer knows the trick and I defenately love their idea, very cost effective to promote their harddisks.

So, "What does a 8mb memory really doing in a harddisk?"

Ans: As a promotion tool to a target market with consumer knows PC a little bit but not totally.

I acutally already mention what really do with the speed of a harddisk in the previous mail:

Originally posted by joey
I think seek time is the major issues when u R/W small files rather than a hugh file. i.e. operating system is much smaller and AVI or MPEG is much larger.

Also, I think it is much easier to put more buffer memory into a harddisk and it helps easier to market the product, (8mb buffer) sounds great and this is an effective tool to promote their product with a relatively low cost.

But 'seek time' is the real technology requires costly research and development, and i think this is the area most harddisk manufacture wants to improve but so difficult. This have to be done with the media and the RPM, etc. These areas have a much higher research cost rather than putting extra buffer memory.

I think yours isn't that bad acutally, have u try to partition the last 2Gs as a partition and see how fast is it. if you got 43mb/s is very good actually.

for my HD i have 111GB on the 120 and 93.1GB on the 100. but the 8MB cache makes up for it!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back