Western Digital Hard drive problem

D

D_T_P

Hey guys i dunno if this is a xp prob or if its just my bios

i bought a new hard drive a 60 gig and it doesnt pick up in my bios as a 60 gig it only comes up as a 30 gig

its my 2nd hard drive so its my slave

i also tried to run it as a single and install windows xp on it but it only came up as a 30 gig for sum reason

thankz

Have you put a big hard drive in it before? Does your motherboard handle 60 gig?
You could try flashing the bios.

It's a BIOS problem. Your systems BIOS is too old to see above the 30 gig barrier. So there are a few things you can do. First as Hipster said flash your BIOS if you can. Second use the BIOS program that came with your harddrive. Third is buy a hard drive controller card. Fourth is buy a new motherboard and most likely a new cpu

KISS

Keep it simple, stupid.

DO NOT flash the bios. There is a REAL risk of taking a working system and driving it right into the ground - forever.

Use the WD hard drive installation diskette that came with the drive. It is usually called something like EZ Install or Data Lifeguard. It is probably also available from their website.

use the lifeguard thingy that came with the drive, it works. Also if his mobo didn't see >30GB, couldn't he still use it and windows would see it?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back