western Dig or IBM

V

VampiricuS

going to upgrade my main drive finally to something bigger. 80 gig will do really. So im wondering which to get. Ive never really had any probs with either brand but its been a while and new stuff changes every years it seems in performance and reviews. Any advice and a brief description why would be greatly appreciated.

Well maybe I'm just really unlucky, but I've had 2 western digital drives go bad in the last year:( and both were under a year old. the only good thing about it was that WD is really good about replacing defective drives.

Western Digital seems to be getting better, and IBM have always been a stable brand. Though not on your list, I do still prefer Seagate, lasted me a couple of years with no hitches or problems what so ever.

IBM. A certain kind. the GXP series. Those really rock, and are rid of all the bugs that plauged IBM in the past. I have a 120GB GXP drive, and it rocks.

i like IBMs, but with my experience with WD 80-100GB 8MB Cache drives, i would have to say go with the 8mb version. if you are going 100+, go with the GXP series from IBM

I like and use IBM's as well, I had one go bad on me, but IBM replaced it no problems.

WD have used those in the past as well with no problems, just keep in mind all Hard drives have a failure rate, and it doesn't really matter who makes them. Any Hard Drive can crash tomorrow, is it likely to happen? no, but just keep that in mind and make decent backups.

cool.gif

I agree with Iceman, all harddrives have a certain failure rate, and also, I think it just depends on which make of a HDD you get. Get 2 exact IBMs. Maybe one of those will fail on 2nd day, while the other one will run for 10 years.

Get a 80 GB WD Special Edition with the 8 MB Cache. They are fast, and affordable.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back