Welcome screen time out

brocher

OSNN Senior Addict
I have two logon names on my pc, one for myself and one for my son, my son hardly ever uses it when i'm home. What i would like to do is still allow him to log on but instead of having to select a name, for it to time out after say 20 seconds and automatically logon to my name.So it would still be possible to switch user with no hassle. There are no passwords on either account. Could this be incorporated into the booy.ini file which selects which operating system the PC boots into?

Last edited:
I don't think there is a way of doing that with multiple user accounts. I could be wrong.

However, you can select one of the user accounts to automatically login on startup.

Start
Run
control userpasswords2
Highlight the user
Uncheck the box above the usernames
Click Apply
Input the password and confirm
OK

I know how to do that but it would be easier the way i described it. There must be a way to do this?

There is no timeout feature built into Windows. You would have to search for a thid party addon.

well - given you can have to log on to your account and I know you can force a reboot after sepcified idle time - would it be acceptable to have the machine reboot after a time and then sign on to your account? Or is your aim to preserve a session with associated open apps and data on your account?

No i was only needing this to happen when i initially start the machine

Better questions is why dont you want to have him just click on the user he wants to login with? They both dont have passwords so what the big deal? If you do have the admin account and the other account is not then just set the pass on yours?

I would password the admin account, otherwise there isn't much need for two user accounts. Except for different wallpapers and a few layout changes.

The only thing I can think of it to use the screensaver. Have your account auto login and enable a screensaver with the show welcome screen option (its a check box near the area you select the screensaver).

given your answer and a review of the thread I am even more confused than ever as to what you really want to achieve.... Anyway if it helps to reboot after inactivity or on other cues, I can recommend Slawdogs smart shutdown which I have used to implement shutdown from a remote control in the past...

So, my best guess is you want to turn the computer on and walk away and find yourself logged in on your return, but if your son turns on the computer he gets a certain amount of time to log on before it "defaults" to logging you in? If this is right then it would be really helpful to confirm that and maybe someone can think of a way to implement that, but I am unsure - I now the GRUB boot loader will give a timeout before booting - but that is used to select OS rather than the manner and OS boots, perhaps someone can think of a way to bend it to that task though, if logon user might be a parameter you could be the default and your son might need to select the "other" OS with his login before it times out and boots with you logged in....

Well my suggestion above will automatically log him in with no delay. However once the screensaver kicks in and the Show Welcome Screen is checked, when someone movies the mouse or hits a jey it will show the Welcome Screen. This is the only way I can see this happening.

Is it really that hard to just click your username? Since there's no password its a simple click and your logged in.

given your answer and a review of the thread I am even more confused than ever as to what you really want to achieve.... Anyway if it helps to reboot after inactivity or on other cues, I can recommend Slawdogs smart shutdown which I have used to implement shutdown from a remote control in the past...

So, my best guess is you want to turn the computer on and walk away and find yourself logged in on your return, but if your son turns on the computer he gets a certain amount of time to log on before it "defaults" to logging you in? If this is right then it would be really helpful to confirm that and maybe someone can think of a way to implement that, but I am unsure - I now the GRUB boot loader will give a timeout before booting - but that is used to select OS rather than the manner and OS boots, perhaps someone can think of a way to bend it to that task though, if logon user might be a parameter you could be the default and your son might need to select the "other" OS with his login before it times out and boots with you logged in....

This is what i want to achieve, it is just annoying coming back to the pc and you still have to select your name and wait for all the programmes to load up.

My suggestion doesn't log you out, it simply shows the Welcome Screen as if you did a "Switch User"

well guys - he knows what he wants and I guessed it right! Anyone know if you can abuse GRUB or LILO to make them do this?

Well that's what we're trying to figure out but so far no ones knows. My suggestion is the closest so far.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back