Welcome Screen Problems

madmatt

Awesome is as awesome does.
Political Access
I have tried everything to resolve this issue, this includes unchecking and rechecking the box under user accounts: change the way users log on or off, searching the registry, and so on. So please don't suggest those methods.

Problem is: I was running StyleXP and I used it to use a third party logon screen. I then removed StyleXP and installed PatchXP (for various reasons). During this transition to PatchXP, Windows XP went back to the classic logon (not the welcome screen).

I need to restore the correct logonui.exe
- C:\WINDOWS\System32\logonui.exe

Solution is unknown to me. Does anyone know, without using a third party program (such as StyleXP), how to do so?

Like I said, I tried checking and unchecking the feature in user accounts, but to no prevail.

Thanks in advance.

Click Start, and then click Run.
Type msconfig, and then press ENTER.
On the General tab, click Extract File.

CD DRIVE:\i386\LOGONUI.EX_ (with xp cd in the drive)

Or from the command line...

C:\>expand f:\i386\logonui.ex_ c:\logonui.exe
Microsoft (R) File Expansion Utility Version 5.1.2600.0
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1990-1999. All rights reserved.

Expanding f:\i386\logonui.ex_ to c:\logonui.exe.
f:\i386\logonui.ex_: 127114 bytes expanded to 504320 bytes, 296% increase.

C:\>
should create an 'original' logonui.exe in c:\

The file already exists in C:\WINDOWS\System32\logonui.exe

I am trying to get Windows XP to use it instead of classic login.

I also forgot to mention that I cannot use the restore feature because these changes were made too far back.

Perhaps check in the registry at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
if the value for UI-Host points to logonui.exe or to something else.
Could be the problem because some programs change this setting. In my registry it says logonuiX.exe, put there by LogonStudio.

Hrm, don't know then
Tried looking through the group policy editor (gpedit.msc) there might be something in there, other than that, its got me stumped.

yoyo, that was it. thank you. I appreciate it.

If anyone needs it for future use this will restore the logon screen to original.

Yes, that is a good idea. Now that I know where to make this change, I can change it again without a third party app. =]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back