• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Weird Vista Error

Bogdan

OSNN One Post Wonder
I recently got an HP 8710w Workstation for a great price. I'm really loving the computer, but every once in a while, I get a ridiculous error. I leave my machine on more many hours at a time, and sometimes when I get back to the screen, I see a pop-up that says "psd runtime application has stopped working." I click OK and from then on, Vista sorta dies.

- I can't open any new programs
- All the recent files disappear from Recent Items on the Start menu
- None of the Start buttons are clickable
- Firefox loses all its program associations (ie. I can't download and open a Word Document)
- I can't save my work

I solve this problem by doing a hard reboot... This doesn't happen too often, so I'll probably keep the machine, but I would like to find out what the cause is. Anyone hear of anything like this happening before? Is this something HP Support could fix (I have a 3 year warranty)?

Any and all comments will be appreciated!

fitz

Woah.. I'm still here?
Staff member
Political User
not sure how much help HP support would be - couldn't hurt to ask.

I'd probably start by suspecting the Trusted Platform software/drivers that was probably loaded by default - as I'm assuming you haven't done a clean install yourself. In particular, I'd start with the Personal Secure Drive Service..

What version of Vista are you running? And do you have any of the encryption turned on?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies